Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Dave Phillips

Default Which NVida card might be the best?

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Dave Phillips wrote:
> |
> | Do the Intel drivers support OpenGL/hardware accelerated 3D ?
>
> Yes. They may not be speed demons, but they do work. When I installed
> Ubuntu onto the sdhc card of my eeepc, I had to turn off compiz because
> it was enabled and working out of the box (the eeepc has an integrated
> Intel). Quite an interesting experience
The remaining problem for me then is the speed. If it isn't up to at
least the nVidia 7600GS specs, then I can't use Intel yet. And I'd like
to, so I'll try to get better informed on the topic. nVidia's drivers
have been relatively non-problematic for me, but I'd prefer an
open-source driver with equal capability.

I'm maxing a 2.4 GHz CPU with some combined Csound/OpenGL stuff. The
results are wonderful, but I now consider my hardware to be the low-end
for getting the most from this particular software (AVSynthesis).

Best,

dp

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Michael Jarosch wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf schrieb:
>
>> Which NVidia card might be the best for use with 64 Studio ex 2.1 and
>> Linux in general?
>>
> Well, it might be OT, because you asked for a nVidia, but I would
> consider buying AMD/Ati Hardware. Soon there will be some good
> OpenSource-Drivers for this cards - you will always get trouble when
> using nVidia with f.e. Debian Testing (and therefore 64studio testing).
>
> Mitsch

Thanx Mitsch

but you seems to have good luck with ATI. I wasn't fine with NVidia for
my old hardware, so I was happy, when I saw a mobo for less money with
an integrated ATI. Learning by trial and error is the only way for
idiots like me.

The ATI on my mobo even isn't fine with windows. I had a long phone call
with a friend who is an expert with hardware. I don't have any Windows,
but he assembled a multimedia PC, HDMI, Blue-ray etc. with the same mobo
for Windows. The mobo is an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI. "Normal" use, 3D etc. is
fine, but the whole video stuff is a disaster.

He told me that he also will buy a NVidia, because ATI shouldn't be
good. NVidia enables a windows button, so that windows can change with
one click from one monitor to the other and features like this. Maybe
just for Windows and not for Linux, but ATI seems to be less functional
than ATI for Windows, so it's easy to imagine how it will be for Linux.

Since I tried to install the ATI driver my 64 Studio is broken. NVidia
for my old hardware was only a problem when I used more than one kernel.
It's possible to use 3D support with more than one kernel, but this
won't work with all combinations of kernels for one Linux. Some features
NVidia is able to do, won't work with Linux, but most is fine for. So I
will buy a NVidia for my new hardware. I hope the ATI can be disabled.

At this phone call I get some information about IRQs, PCI, PCIe and
hints on how to get composite video from S-Video and HDMI video without
sound from DVI-I. There are troubles because of the IRQs I didn't know.
Sometimes 6 hardware devices can use one IRQ, while two IRQs are still
unused etc., ATI sometimes need a special IRQ.

Intel should be to slow for some applications. The best should be NVidia.

OT:

I won't reply to all the other mails, so to Gustin, thank you for
affirming about the SATA and IDE use, but I don't agree concerning to
Windows as a DAW. I tested my old hardware with Windows and it fit to my
needs. Because I don't wish to have anything from Microsoft, I bought
new hardware, because my old hardware wasn't able to fit my needs when
using Linux ... .

Grr, the fan of my new power supply sounds like a monitor in use with a
to high vertical refresh rate or like a light bulb that isn't fine any
more. There isn't any other noise and this noise only can be heard if
all windows are closed, but than it sucks.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Ralf Mardorf

I won't correct my broken English, after sending, the
incomprehensibleness jumped at me , but I have to add one fact. With
Linux the integrated ATI Radeon X 1250-based isn't fine. It failed to
build a driver, so even simple 3D support wasn't fine.

> There isn't any other noise and this noise only can be heard if
> all windows are closed, but than it sucks.

That's funny, I wasn't thinking of KDE windows, but of windows in my flat.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Ross wrote:
>> GeForce 8400 GS
>>
>> There's also one, that's not in the NVidia list, but it's advertised
>> with OpenGL 2.0:
>>
>> NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT
>>
>> Maybe 3D is fine, but high definition TV not, or something like this.
>>
>> I should take a look at the different passive PCIe GeForce 7300 GS and
>> GeForce 8400 GS once to be on the safe side.
>> Maybe GeForce 8400 GS is newer and better than the GeForce 7600 GS.
>> After all the specifications are relative and not absolute relating to
>> the performance, if they are not extreme different.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>>

> Hi Ralf,
> I recently purchased Geforce 8500 GT based card. It works fine under
> all distros I run using Nvidia binary drivers. For me it gives good
> performance for low price although I don't have very high graphical
> requirements here I (Compiz .and occasional gaming).
>
> HTH
> Ross.

Hi Ross

thank you, so I don't have to ask NVidia. For 3D it seems to be the best
performant card of the low coast cards I found, resp. I have to take a
look at some 7 family cards but I think the 8500 is the most performant.

Most times I don't need 3D and when I need it, there is no need for a
fast card, but I'm thinking of doing 3D animations.

I have the fear, that at the moment high definition won't be fine or
some of the "highlights" listed here won't be fine for the 8500 GT:

Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

*Version: 173.14.05
Operating System: Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T)
Release Date: 28.05.2008*

*Release Highlights
*

*[...]
*

Restored compatibility with recent Linux 2.6 kernels.

*http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux_display_amd64_173.14.05_uk.html
*

I guess you are using the 64-bit version of 64 Studio, right? Which
driver do you use? Have you tested HDTV?

I have to say that I don't need HDTV at the moment, it would be okay if
just 3D is fine.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Ralf Mardorf

I have forgotten to ask about this:

Is your "display" a tube monitor? If so, are you fine with the vertical
refresh rate for all distros?

My old AGP, I think it's a NVidia MX 440, wasn't fine for it with 64
Studio but with Suse. With the integrated ATI and the vesa driver it's
the same, resp. I didn't tested it with Suse for the ATI.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> Which driver do you use?

I think you are using the latest NVidia driver version , but it might
be better to ask.