Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Michael Jarosch

Default Switch off some RT-IRQs

Hello, again!

2) I've got 7 IRQs working with realtime! Wouldn't it be useful,
reducing it only to some of them I really need?

While booting, it goes like this:

rtirq: start [rtc] irq=8 pid=248 prio=90: OK.
rtirq: start [snd] irq=11 pid=2136 prio=85: OK.
rtirq: start [snd] irq=22 pid=2124 prio=84: OK.
rtirq: start [snd] irq=18 pid=734 prio=83: OK.
rtirq: start [uhci_hcd] irq=21 pid=730 prio=80: OK.
rtirq: start [i8042] irq=1 pid=275 prio=75: OK.
rtirq: start [i8042] irq=12 pid=274 prio=74: OK.

O.k., I'll need the realtime-clock. But two of the three sound-devices
aren't needed for realtime-priority. Again, I don't use any USB-Audio
device ("uhci-hcd"). By the way: what is that "i8042" for? Do I need it?

And last not least: How do I configure rtirq for switching on/off
certain IRQs for realtime-priority?

Mitsch

Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Micheal,

|--==> Michael Jarosch writes:

MJ> Hello, again!
MJ> 2) I've got 7 IRQs working with realtime! Wouldn't it be useful,
MJ> reducing it only to some of them I really need?

MJ> While booting, it goes like this:

MJ> rtirq: start [rtc] irq=8 pid=248 prio=90: OK.
MJ> rtirq: start [snd] irq=11 pid=2136 prio=85: OK.
MJ> rtirq: start [snd] irq=22 pid=2124 prio=84: OK.
MJ> rtirq: start [snd] irq=18 pid=734 prio=83: OK.
MJ> rtirq: start [uhci_hcd] irq=21 pid=730 prio=80: OK.
MJ> rtirq: start [i8042] irq=1 pid=275 prio=75: OK.
MJ> rtirq: start [i8042] irq=12 pid=274 prio=74: OK.

MJ> O.k., I'll need the realtime-clock. But two of the three sound-devices
MJ> aren't needed for realtime-priority. Again, I don't use any USB-Audio
MJ> device ("uhci-hcd"). By the way: what is that "i8042" for? Do I need it?

MJ> And last not least: How do I configure rtirq for switching on/off
MJ> certain IRQs for realtime-priority?

As far as I know rtirq has not such fine tune features, you will have
to write you script, or tweak rtirq to support blacklists, man chrt
will be your friend

Ciao,

Free

Old 06-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> Hi Micheal,
>
> |--==> Michael Jarosch writes:
>
> MJ> Hello, again!
> MJ> 2) I've got 7 IRQs working with realtime! Wouldn't it be useful,
> MJ> reducing it only to some of them I really need?
>
> MJ> While booting, it goes like this:
>
> MJ> rtirq: start [rtc] irq=8 pid=248 prio=90: OK.
> MJ> rtirq: start [snd] irq=11 pid=2136 prio=85: OK.
> MJ> rtirq: start [snd] irq=22 pid=2124 prio=84: OK.
> MJ> rtirq: start [snd] irq=18 pid=734 prio=83: OK.
> MJ> rtirq: start [uhci_hcd] irq=21 pid=730 prio=80: OK.
> MJ> rtirq: start [i8042] irq=1 pid=275 prio=75: OK.
> MJ> rtirq: start [i8042] irq=12 pid=274 prio=74: OK.
>
> MJ> O.k., I'll need the realtime-clock. But two of the three sound-devices
> MJ> aren't needed for realtime-priority. Again, I don't use any USB-Audio
> MJ> device ("uhci-hcd"). By the way: what is that "i8042" for? Do I need it?
>
> MJ> And last not least: How do I configure rtirq for switching on/off
> MJ> certain IRQs for realtime-priority?
>
> As far as I know rtirq has not such fine tune features, you will have
> to write you script, or tweak rtirq to support blacklists, man chrt
> will be your friend
>
> Ciao,
>
> Free

Hi

I'm not familiar with Linux, but naive as I'm, I guess it doesn't matter
if there are two unneeded devices having an interrupt. When the
interrupt is requested a rout check some IO registers, if they will send
something, and because they won't and nothing will be send that the
devices has to receive, the rout returns. That might be some cycles,
that won't have any impact on the performance. Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Gustin

cool, I didn't know anything about this and after receiving your mail I
searched by using Google, so I think Mitsch should take care, if the
interrupts at all are delivered.

I've taken a look at my /proc/interupts

CPU0 CPU1
0: 212 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 10 17584 IO-APIC-edge i8042
7: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 1 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 1277 1652825 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 118 276108 IO-APIC-edge ide0
16: 4 5342 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb1
17: 0 55 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb4
18: 0 2 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb5
19: 4073 271087 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb6, eth1
20: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata
21: 2 4633 IO-APIC-fasteoi ICE1712
22: 0 2 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata, ohci1394
NMI: 0 0
LOC: 24053440 24053367
ERR: 0

I don't use the parallel port and I think "parport0" means the parallel
port. The 0 for each core of my CPU means, that no core has taken care
of it, as far as I understand this. So there might be no need to change
anything, because it seems to be possible, that Mitsch's CPU isn't on
load by the unused devices.

I wouldn't change any scripts, resp. add anything to the blacklist, if
there isn't the need to do this and I wouldn't know what is what, e.g.
it wouldn't be enjoyable if there will be no IRQ for the keyboard.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> It shouldn't matter if you are using USB devices as the i8042 is for PS2
> devices. I am not sure what is "normal", but for me, pretty much all my
> keyboards and mice are USB these days.

Because of the incompatibilities with Linux now most of my equipment is
new, but e.g. keyboard and mouse are still from bulk rubbish providing
PS2. It's not only because I've got less money, but still because I
don't like to throw away things that are still fine. Sad to say that
Microsoft is more efficient concerning to oldish hardware and pro audio.
Back to the topic, one of the keyboards I've got needs an adopter for
less than 1,- EUR to fit to PS2, the connector even isn't PS2 and this
keyboard is fine, resp. my keyboards are much better than all those
low-cost USB keyboards, I know that there are USB keyboards for less money.

I've got a printer, not connected at the moment, but still with a
parallel port and the printer is still fine and I'll point out, the
printer is fine with Linux.

More and more it looks like I'm a dinosaur.

Before removing modules someone should keep in sight that he maybe will
do projects with other people and that they maybe will connect their
equipments and than there might be the need to have some oldish modules.

Maybe Michael has got USB, but because he didn't know about i8042 he
should be careful when removing modules.

> I regularly add misbehaving modules to the blacklist (usually wifi
> devices) as well as annoying modules (eg. pcspkr). Modern APICs can
> usually handle 24 hardware lines so it is probably not worth bothering
> about. Buggy BIOSs are of greater concern to me but that is another
> story.

I also don't use wifi, even my telephones are wired.
Different hardware can share the same interrupts with Linux. Because I'm
an old computer freak, that didn't know the way modern Computers and
Linux handles IRQs, I read yesterday about it. If something has an
interrupt, but isn't in use, the CPU won't take care of it. Maybe I
misunderstood something.

For someone like you, knowing what he is doing, removing unneeded
modules might be the better way, for someone who doesn't know about
things like i8042 it might be dangerous. Before removing anything I
recommend to take a look at http://www.google.com/linux.

IMO to tweak that way is the wrong approach. Thinking about how to
change LADSPA, resp. to take a look why VST needs less resources, is
more interesting than removing modules that have no impact on the
performance and that someday might be needed.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Buggy BIOSs are of greater concern to me but that is another story.

Hm, why? This is one advantage of Linux, that the BIOS isn't to
essential. Even the latest BIOS update of my M2A-VM HDMI is said not to
be fine with Windows. I'm only running Linux and until now Linux has
been fine with each BIOS for this board. I guess that the BIOS, even
with Linux, is controlling some off the mobos components. Can there be
trouble for Linux, because the BIOS isn't fine?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Quentin Harley

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hm, why? This is one advantage of Linux, that the BIOS isn't to
> essential. Even the latest BIOS update of my M2A-VM HDMI is said not to
> be fine with Windows. I'm only running Linux and until now Linux has
> been fine with each BIOS for this board. I guess that the BIOS, even
> with Linux, is controlling some off the mobos components. Can there be
> trouble for Linux, because the BIOS isn't fine?

Absolutely... This is what kept me from using 64 Studio while the
hardware manufacturers still tried to fix the bios. It took them a
whole year to fix it, while I tried to make 64studio to work on my new
system without any joy. At least they got it right in the end!

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Ralf Mardorf

In the Ardour list there right now is the information, that shared
interrupts can be a problem, this is contrary to the informations I've
got about the kernel. In this case I guess it's better to believe Ardour
users than kernel experts. I join audio lists, because of the
informations that are coming from experiences, instead to the abstract
once from experts that never use their computers to produce something.

I've to change my opinion. It might be good to remove modules that
request for an IRQ, if there are to many and interrupts have to be
shared. Is it true that handling interrupts manually might be impossible
for laptops?