Old 06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Gustin Johnson

Default ALSA cannot find the slot for index 0

The ATI video card supports HDMI which is sound and video. What has
happened is that the integrated sound card now appears in your list of
sound devices now that you have a driver for it. It looks like the HDMI
audio device is now hw:0 with your USB device on hw:2

The device list in qjackctrl is determined by the order that the modules
are loaded in.

Just select hw:2 in qjackctrl (or whatever one is linked to your USB
device).

Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Gustin

thank you, but it isn't like you wrote:
> The ATI video card supports HDMI which is sound and video. What has
> happened is that the integrated sound card now appears in your list of
> sound devices now that you have a driver for it. It looks like the HDMI
> audio device is now hw:0 with your USB device on hw:2
>
> The device list in qjackctrl is determined by the order that the modules
> are loaded in.
>
> Just select hw:2 in qjackctrl (or whatever one is linked to your USB
> device).

The HDMI was also supported when I used the vesa driver, like I now do
again. Everything from the ATI driver seems to be uninstalled. The
TerraTec is missing. Indexes in the alsa-base are like they have been
before the ATI driver. All sound cards ATI, ATI HDMI and TerraTec and
the USB-MIDI-device were fine before the ATI driver install and I didn't
change anything else. I have forgotten to write that with the last state
of affairs, startup is fine but the screen at shutdown is black, no
splash, no messages any more.

Before the ATI driver it was like this:

hw:0 TerraTec
hw:0,x [...]
hw:1 HDA ATI SB
hw:1,x [...]
hw:2 USB Device
hw:3 HDA ATI HDMI

I can't remember if hw:1 or hw:3 was HDA HDMI, resp. HDA ATI SB, but
alsa-base all the time has been like this:

# Fix indexes for the spymo DAW
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-ice1712 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=2

TerraTec always was hw:0 and now I can't choose it, because it isn't
there any more, see the copied mail. When running alsaconf there is the
conflict that all the other devices will be lost.

I've done no changes, but the vesa to ATI and ATI to vesa driver. Jack
still says "Enhanced3DNow! detected" and dmesg | grep alsa says "ALSA
/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/init.c:174: cannot find the slot for
index 0 (range 0-1), error: -16". xorg.conf is a copy of the original
vesa xorg.conf I used before, when everything was fine. I cant see any
package that isn't "reset", resp. reinstalled to the state before I does
all that ATI tests.

Here's a copy of my last mail: