Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Susan Dridi

Default Users List and Lenny

Hi All,

I appreciate that the people who are using Lenny are being helpful to
the development of 64 Studio. But, I wonder if those messages should go
to the devel list instead.

It seems to me that the users list is for the users of something 64
Studio has actually released, whether it be the testing or stable
versions of 64 Studio. At this point, Etch is the base.

Sorry if that sounds crabby, I didn't mean it that way. But I've run
enough lists to know that if things go way off topic, people drop off.
And the lists are such good resources that I'd hate to see that happen.

Take care,

-Susan

Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I appreciate that the people who are using Lenny are being helpful to
> the development of 64 Studio. But, I wonder if those messages should go
> to the devel list instead.
>
> It seems to me that the users list is for the users of something 64
> Studio has actually released, whether it be the testing or stable
> versions of 64 Studio. At this point, Etch is the base.
>
> Sorry if that sounds crabby, I didn't mean it that way. But I've run
> enough lists to know that if things go way off topic, people drop off.
> And the lists are such good resources that I'd hate to see that happen.
>
> Take care,
>
> -Susan

Hi Susan

that might be something to think about in the future, but IMO now with
the release of 2.1, Lenny will become the 64 Studio testing and the
questions are not misplaced in this list.

I enforcedly has to upgrade to Lenny and my questions mainly would be
the same for 2.1 and misplaced in the developers list.

When I'm asking for a gfx card, the informations might be interesting
for other users too, but not for developers, e.g. the information that
it might be better to buy a new gfx card, instead of a new motherboard
with another integrated graphics, because the shared mainmemory, as
mainmemory and framebuffer, might cause troubles by using Linux as a
DAW, an information that won't be given at "normal" Debian forums. I ask
some questions in "normal" Debian forums, but there seems to be more
differences between Etch or Lenny and a 64 Studio Etch or 64 Studio
Lenny than just the DAW settings that are obvious, like the group audio,
the settings for limits.conf. So if e.g. people with a audio studio need
a safe backup media there are only 2 choices. A hard disc for backups
that will be a little bit unhandy and expensive for the archive in the
rack, or DVDRAM. As a user, I'm not a developer, I think I has to ask
stupid questions about such things in the user list and I might be
forced to update a 2.1 to Lenny.

If I ask about a theme for Iceweasel or someone ask how to boot without
the bootsplash, this might be misplaced, but as an excuse, I was asking
for a theme, resp. add-on for Iceweasel, because I like to have all
Bookmarks visible in the toolbar. When reading questions in the forums,
people asked where they can get informations about some things, that are
Bookmarks by default, but they sometimes are hidden in the bookmarks
menu. Even a misplaced question might be not misplaced.

Someone being insecure with Linux like me, seldom is right by using a
developers list. Exceptions are my knowledge about pro audio, e.g.
programming MIDI applications, but also questions about the problems
with making makefiles might be more something that should be asked in a
Jack list for users instead for developers.

The long and the short of it. No, I think at this time Lenny is as
actual as 2.1 for 64 Studio. I might be wrong with political statements
and emotional releases, but on the other hand this is a Linux for
musicians and not a list for Gentoo or Linux from the scratch, that
might be more for Vulcans, with less emotions.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Gustin Johnson

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
| Susan Dridi wrote:
|> Hi All,
|>
|> I appreciate that the people who are using Lenny are being helpful to
|> the development of 64 Studio. But, I wonder if those messages should go
|> to the devel list instead.
|>
|> It seems to me that the users list is for the users of something 64
|> Studio has actually released, whether it be the testing or stable
|> versions of 64 Studio. At this point, Etch is the base.
|>
|> Sorry if that sounds crabby, I didn't mean it that way. But I've run
|> enough lists to know that if things go way off topic, people drop off.
|> And the lists are such good resources that I'd hate to see that happen.
|>
|> Take care,
|>
|> -Susan
|>

| Hi Susan
|
| that might be something to think about in the future, but IMO now with
| the release of 2.1, Lenny will become the 64 Studio testing and the
| questions are not misplaced in this list.

I actually agree with her here. 2.1 is based on etch, period. All this
messing about with Lenny has nothing to do with the currently released
version.

She actually beat me to it, as I also noticed that the vast majority of
the list traffic lately has been Lenny related, with a small number of
posters.

| I enforcedly has to upgrade to Lenny and my questions mainly would be
| the same for 2.1 and misplaced in the developers list.

It does not really matter _why_ you feel that you need to complicate
your install with unstable sources. If the current version is missing
features and packages that you would like to see included, then the
devel list is the appropriate place to address these concerns and
wish-lists.

| When I'm asking for a gfx card, the informations might be interesting
| for other users too, but not for developers, e.g. the information that
| it might be better to buy a new gfx card, instead of a new motherboard
| with another integrated graphics, because the shared mainmemory, as
| mainmemory and framebuffer, might cause troubles by using Linux as a
| DAW, an information that won't be given at "normal" Debian forums. I ask
| some questions in "normal" Debian forums, but there seems to be more
| differences between Etch or Lenny and a 64 Studio Etch or 64 Studio
| Lenny than just the DAW settings that are obvious, like the group audio,
| the settings for limits.conf. So if e.g. people with a audio studio need
| a safe backup media there are only 2 choices. A hard disc for backups
| that will be a little bit unhandy and expensive for the archive in the
| rack, or DVDRAM. As a user, I'm not a developer, I think I has to ask
| stupid questions about such things in the user list and I might be
| forced to update a 2.1 to Lenny.

She (and I for that matter) are concerned with traffic that relates to
people adding Lenny sources. As far as I am concerned, GFX card
discussions are on topic.

| If I ask about a theme for Iceweasel or someone ask how to boot without
| the bootsplash, this might be misplaced, but as an excuse, I was asking
| for a theme, resp. add-on for Iceweasel, because I like to have all
| Bookmarks visible in the toolbar. When reading questions in the forums,
| people asked where they can get informations about some things, that are
| Bookmarks by default, but they sometimes are hidden in the bookmarks
| menu. Even a misplaced question might be not misplaced.

Iceweasel themes are OT in my opinion, but they could be argued in
either direction.

| Someone being insecure with Linux like me, seldom is right by using a
| developers list. Exceptions are my knowledge about pro audio, e.g.
| programming MIDI applications, but also questions about the problems
| with making makefiles might be more something that should be asked in a
| Jack list for users instead for developers.

This can be confusing, even for veterans. Which list, which forum
should I post my questions to? I wish I had an easy answer for that.

| The long and the short of it. No, I think at this time Lenny is as
| actual as 2.1 for 64 Studio. I might be wrong with political statements

This is a contradiction in terms. I am pretty sure I/we covered this
earlier.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> This can be confusing, even for veterans. Which list, which forum
> should I post my questions to? I wish I had an easy answer for that.

Because a few of us are artists, I guess we are deciding this not
logical but impulsively. I won't spoil a developers list with questions
that are impulsively too.

And where should someone asked for things, like to have no penguin when
booting? (http://www.64studio.com/node/614#comment-2493) I suggest to do
it in another forum. But am I right with this suggestion? I think in
another forum they maybe can't help him, because there might be
something different for 64 Studio than for the Debain it is based on.

Maybe Susan's argument doesn't aim at me. Among other things I does the
upgrade to Lenny, because of the problems with the ATI and I don't asked
for Lenny, but for gfx cards, only in the subject there is the word Lenny.

We maybe shouldn't asked about Lenny here, but I don't think that users
(like me) should join a developers list.

I'm really familiar with pro audio studios, with home recording, with
developing audio software, but not for Linux, Vista, XP, MacOS and
developing high end studio equipment, not with all of it as matter
stand, but even if I'm using Linux since Suse 9.0, I'm still a noob and
impulsively, not the kind of person who should join a developers list.

In addition there are not a lot of mails, so I can't see what's the
problem is, if we write about Lenny. While the stable has been 2.0, we
also have written about 2.1rc and today Lenny is the new rc.

Off topic:

I have links to search the developers list archive, but I can't find a
users list archive.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 AM

64 Studio 2.1 is a very capable and stable release, and I did not load a
single item from Lenny at this stage, and I am very doubtful that I will,
until a RC for 64 Studio 3.0 has been released.

Please lets keep lenny where he belongs, until 3.0 is released.

I have seen a drop in both the developer and user list traffic, and I
assume that most new users makes use of the forums, where info is a little
easier to find.

Cheers,
Quentin