Old 12-02-2007, 08:06 PM
"Philippe Macaire"

Default Laptop freezes when fan starts on 64studio 2.0

Hi list,

I would like to report that I finally "solved" my problem, in a way I hope will not jeopardize my system.

I was discussing with a Linux-expert friend, when he suggested to disable the ACPI kernel flag (acpi=off from GRUB). I gave it a try, and my laptop has never frozen since, even after 3 or 4 hours of intense use of 64studio (with my ipw2100 module loaded and my wireless connection up and running).

My ("gut feeling") guess is that there is some incompatibility between my motherboard and the ACPI interface.

I don't know if this is something safe to do, but I've noticed no unusual behavior other than the battery control applet saying that I'm connected to the power outlet even when I'm not...

In any case, I can finally use 64studio normally (and it's definitely cool!).

All the best,
Philippe.

On Nov 15, 2007 10:41 AM, Philippe Macaire <