-   -   hwinfo (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/107264-hwinfo.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-15-2008 03:49 PM

hwinfo

I sent hwinfo --sound and hwinfo --cpu to you and the list. It doesn't
come through the list until now, even if it's not a larger mail than
others. I know that mails with jpegs will be blocked but there seems to
be a bizarre problem with hwinfo too, as short as it will be.

Did you get the mail Folderol ... Will?

Ralf Mardorf 06-15-2008 04:08 PM

hwinfo

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:49:36 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>

>> I sent hwinfo --sound and hwinfo --cpu to you and the list. It doesn't
>> come through the list until now, even if it's not a larger mail than
>> others. I know that mails with jpegs will be blocked but there seems to
>> be a bizarre problem with hwinfo too, as short as it will be.
>>
>> Did you get the mail Folderol ... Will?
>>

> Yes it came through here fine.
>
> Similar MOBO and processor, quite different soundcard, but I really
> don't think it's a hardware problem.

This might be helpful as information for the list. Maybe the ALSA or
JACK MIDI routs, resp. the driver isn't fine for your card (and maybe
not for mine, I only can use my card for audio, because of missing
hardware). Your card isn't based on a Envy microchip?

Ralf Mardorf 06-15-2008 04:37 PM

hwinfo

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:08:42 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>

>> Folderol wrote:

>>> Yes it came through here fine.
>>>
>>> Similar MOBO and processor, quite different soundcard, but I really
>>> don't think it's a hardware problem.
>>>

>> This might be helpful as information for the list. Maybe the ALSA or
>> JACK MIDI routs, resp. the driver isn't fine for your card (and maybe
>> not for mine, I only can use my card for audio, because of missing
>> hardware). Your card isn't based on a Envy microchip?
>>

> It's Maudio 2496 and ICE1712, but as I said there are absolutely no
> other problems and I really can't believe this is a hardware fault.

Hm, the difference between a note-on and a modulation-wheel event are
only the first bits of the code, nothing is different. I was a coder for
the C64, Ataris and some other equipment and I'm not fine with Linux.

E.g., there is a very strange and stupid way Jack internally handles
"running mode". Jack isn't a good application, it's done very
non-clever, like many Linux audio applications, wasting a lot of the
resources.

Maybe it's an unlucky combination of the ALSA driver for your sound card
and e.g. the way Jack ignores running status internally.

By the way, I've given up to code for Linux.

jarmo 11-09-2008 12:46 PM

Hwinfo

Has anyone info about package hwinfo for
Centos, rhel, fedora?
Nice piece of commandline tools.

Jarmo

Dag Wieers 11-09-2008 11:24 PM

Hwinfo

Has anyone info about package hwinfo for
Centos, rhel, fedora?
Nice piece of commandline tools.

I tried, but hwinfo is very SuSE specific.

Anne Wilson 11-10-2008 08:30 AM

Hwinfo

On Monday 10 November 2008 00:24:05 Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, jarmo wrote:
> > Has anyone info about package hwinfo for
> > Centos, rhel, fedora?
> > Nice piece of commandline tools.
>
> I tried, but hwinfo is very SuSE specific.

Dag, I used hwinfo years ago on Mandrake/Mandriva systems. Maybe something
helpful there?

I agree with jarmo - it's an excellent tool

Anne

Phil Schaffner 11-10-2008 01:04 PM

Hwinfo

Anne Wilson wrote:

Has anyone info about package hwinfo for
Centos, rhel, fedora?
Nice piece of commandline tools.

I tried, but hwinfo is very SuSE specific.

Dag, I used hwinfo years ago on Mandrake/Mandriva systems. Maybe something
helpful there?

I agree with jarmo - it's an excellent tool

This SRPM builds/runs on CentOS 5.2.

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/yast/dist/files/el5/src/hwinfo-13.57-2.src.rpm

BuildRequires: doxygen flex hal-devel perl-XML-Parser perl-XML-Writer udev

Phil

jarmo 11-10-2008 01:48 PM

Hwinfo

Anne Wilson kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai, 10. marraskuuta
2008):
> On Monday 10 November 2008 00:24:05 Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, jarmo wrote:
> > > Has anyone info about package hwinfo for
> > > Centos, rhel, fedora?
> > > Nice piece of commandline tools.
> >
> > I tried, but hwinfo is very SuSE specific.
>
> Dag, I used hwinfo years ago on Mandrake/Mandriva systems. Maybe something
> helpful there?
>
> I agree with jarmo - it's an excellent tool
>
> Anne

I tried MDV packet, but there is some depencies what didn' match
even I have required libaries installed, but ofcourse wrong serial.
As well as connectivas package, didn't get SuSe's yet, but bet
there's maybe other depencies required than tose other distro's.

Original Hwinfo is made for Debian based systems, I think.

Jarmo

Dag Wieers 11-10-2008 03:22 PM

Hwinfo

Has anyone info about package hwinfo for
Centos, rhel, fedora?
Nice piece of commandline tools.

I tried, but hwinfo is very SuSE specific.

Dag, I used hwinfo years ago on Mandrake/Mandriva systems. Maybe something
helpful there?

Hmm, then I am probably confusing it with some other tool I tried to
package coming from SuSE. I do have a SPEC file on my buildsystem, but it
does not work. I will investigate when I find the time.

Vandaman 11-10-2008 06:09 PM

Hwinfo

Dag Wieers wrote:

> Hmm, then I am probably confusing it with some other tool I
> tried to package coming from SuSE. I do have a SPEC file on
> my buildsystem, but it does not work. I will investigate
> when I find the time.

Hwinfo is SUSE specific.

Debian page says :-

Debian -- Details of package hwinfo in sid
hwinfo is the hardware detection tool used in SuSE Linux.
In Debian Edu ( Skolelinux) hwinfo has shown better results
than discover when detecting mouse, ..

The Mandriva spec file lists :-
Add debian patch to get it build in non-suse distro

Regards,
Vandaman.