Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Phil Schaffner

Default Hwinfo

Vandaman wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:

Hmm, then I am probably confusing it with some other tool I
tried to package coming from SuSE. I do have a SPEC file on
my buildsystem, but it does not work. I will investigate
when I find the time.

Hwinfo is SUSE specific.

Debian page says :-

Debian -- Details of package hwinfo in sid
hwinfo is the hardware detection tool used in SuSE Linux.
In Debian Edu ( Skolelinux) hwinfo has shown better results
than discover when detecting mouse, ..

The Mandriva spec file lists :-
Add debian patch to get it build in non-suse distro

At the risk of repeating myself - it does build/run on CentOS 5.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-November/067612.html

Phil

Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Vandaman

Phil Schaffner wrote:

> At the risk of repeating myself - it does build/run on
> CentOS 5.
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-November/067612.html

That is not in dispute. I was responding to the claim
that "Hwinfo is made for Debian based systems". Why would
debian add a patch to get it to build on none-suse systems
if its "made for debian systems"?

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-November/067613.html

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Matthew Kent

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 15:46 +0200, jarmo wrote:
> Has anyone info about package hwinfo for
> Centos, rhel, fedora?
> Nice piece of commandline tools.

Though not as verbose compared to hwinfo's output (on debian here) I've
found lshw (http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/lshw/) very useful.
--
Matthew Kent SA bravenet.com