Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default The Dubliners - A kind of billiard that might come from Ireland - A very stupid and distro off topic question

Hi

I've seen a film, "video", from The Dubliners. In this "video" there has
been a billiard table with holes in the middle of the table and I guess
that there have been something made of wood, that looks like mushrooms.
It seems to be a joke or something very Irish. I tried to find out
something about this game and Google linked me to sides about quantum
mechanic and chaos theory.

Rudimentally it has to do with music .

Sorry, I might asked something like this in another forum, but because I
know that some of you are from "England" and I won't join a forum about
Irish culture, I'm brash and ask it here.

Searching for Irish billiard I just found "normal" kinds of billiard.

Hm, I might asked if The Dubliners ever have used Linux to record their
music but I just want to know something about this kind of billiard.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Folderol

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:11:06 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've seen a film, "video", from The Dubliners. In this "video" there has
> been a billiard table with holes in the middle of the table and I guess
> that there have been something made of wood, that looks like mushrooms.
> It seems to be a joke or something very Irish. I tried to find out
> something about this game and Google linked me to sides about quantum
> mechanic and chaos theory.
>
> Rudimentally it has to do with music .
>
> Sorry, I might asked something like this in another forum, but because I
> know that some of you are from "England" and I won't join a forum about
> Irish culture, I'm brash and ask it here.
>
> Searching for Irish billiard I just found "normal" kinds of billiard.
>
> Hm, I might asked if The Dubliners ever have used Linux to record their
> music but I just want to know something about this kind of billiard.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

What you saw was bar-billiards (a rather fiendish game). It used to be
extremely popular in most pubs in Britain, but has largely been killed
off by pub TVs

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Folderol wrote:
> What you saw was bar-billiards (a rather fiendish game). It used to be
> extremely popular in most pubs in Britain, but has largely been killed
> off by pub TVs

Thank you

the "video" has been from 1968 and it looks like people in the pub,
where it has been shot, be very chummily. They played games and talked
to each other. Watching TV seems to me something that is misplaced in a
pub. But what do I know? I'm more a lone wolf.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-15-2008, 03:52 PM
dave

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:11:06 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I've seen a film, "video", from The Dubliners. In this "video" there has
>> been a billiard table with holes in the middle of the table and I guess
>> that there have been something made of wood, that looks like mushrooms.
>> It seems to be a joke or something very Irish. I tried to find out
>> something about this game and Google linked me to sides about quantum
>> mechanic and chaos theory.
>>
>> Rudimentally it has to do with music .
>>
>> Sorry, I might asked something like this in another forum, but because I
>> know that some of you are from "England" and I won't join a forum about
>> Irish culture, I'm brash and ask it here.
>>
>> Searching for Irish billiard I just found "normal" kinds of billiard.
>>
>> Hm, I might asked if The Dubliners ever have used Linux to record their
>> music but I just want to know something about this kind of billiard.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>>

> What you saw was bar-billiards (a rather fiendish game). It used to be
> extremely popular in most pubs in Britain, but has largely been killed
> off by pub TVs

A great game, all the skill of billiards, with a twist.
I can see why you were linked to sites relating to
quantum mechanics and chaos theory.
Not seen one of these tables for about twenty years.

Cheers!
dave.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> A great game, all the skill of billiards, with a twist.
> I can see why you were linked to sites relating to
> quantum mechanics and chaos theory.
> Not seen one of these tables for about twenty years.
>
> Cheers!
> dave.

"mushroom billard", resp. "mushroom billiards"