Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default hw:0 already in use - summary

Hi Peter

as I've written in my first Email: "I have no idea :S.

If you are using KDE, aRts might be the cause."

Okay, I'm "e-learning" a lot too, because of trying to help you with
your problem.

It seems to be, that GNOME is using ESD for system sounds, comparable
like KDE needs aRts.
You have good luck, because pstree will show the ESDaemon, the cause is,
that a daemon is a process.

Strange is, that if you *disable* ESD, it's shown by pstree, but you can
run qjackctl and to be more precise jackd without killall ESD.
If you *enable* ESD it isn't shown any more by pstree, but you now have
to killall ESD before running jackd.

So sure is, that the ESDaemon will be started and stopped, but for
pstree it's *disabled* when it's *enabled*. The question is; Why it's
like this?

Another question is; Is it possible to have system sound for the same or
another sound card, while running jackd?

Have I understand this correct?

Today I have to do something else, so in the evening at the earliest, I
guess I can come back to your problem. The troubles seems to be solved,
but with some pending questions.

Cheers,
Ralf