Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Gustin Johnson

Default hw:0 already in use after boot, with no programs running

Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Gustin

> Take the time to read the whole post, to the end.

Not today. I wonder why Novell's AppArmor is used by Ubuntu . I'm not
fine with the Novell-Microsoft deal, but I don't trust Mark
Shuttleworth, because of his biography and I wish that a project like
KDE is sponsored by different companies. It's okay if it's done by
Canonical and Novell, but I don't like monopolies and it looks like Mark
Shuttelworth will become pope of Linux. It's not an objective aspect, I
speculate because of insight into human nature.

> This is not a trick, it is preventing esd from locking the sound
> hardware. You could just as easily stop esd via whatever mechanism is
> appropriate.
>
> Changing hw:1 is only useful if you have 2 or more sound devices
> attached to your system. When I attach a USB sound device, it becomes
> hw:1 while the onboard remains hw:0. It is useful to figure out what
> some of this stuff *means*.

I don't have to kill esd, Jack is fine with hw:0 without doing it. Why
has Peter to kill esd? It's not a solution to kill something, where
nothing should run, resp. it's a solution, but without knowing what went
wrong. So I think it might be a way to check out, if an application
starts the default hw:0 or if jackd is the cause of this problem and an
evidence might be, if there will be a message "hw:1(or any number but 0)
already in use" after giving the sound card a fixed index but index 0.

I hoped pstree could say if ALSA or OSS is used by an application, but
it won't.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS:
> I hoped pstree could say if ALSA or OSS
or any other sound server/daemon
> is used by an application, but
> it won't.

If I would have Peter's problem, I would change my alsa-base from

# Fix indexes for the spymo DAW
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-ice1712 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=2

# Fix indexes for the spymo DAW
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-ice1712
options snd-ice1712 index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=2

to see what will happen.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Ralf Mardorf

PPS:
>> It is useful to figure out what some of this stuff *means*.

Because I've an edited alsa-base you can assume that I know what the
stuff means, but I also know that I had problems with one of my Suses,
where only hw:1 could used with Jack and applications using Jack for pro
audio. The default hw:0 never was fine, but for KDE sound. Because of
this I asked Peter if he use KDE, if so it might had been aRts that
caused the error.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> Hi
> Since two days I have to do alsa force-reload (as root) before I can
> start any audio program without complaints.
> If I just start Jack after booting, I get the error : "hw:0 already in
> use"
> Any ideas where this behaviour comes from ?
>
> greetings
> Peter

Aargh, Icedove can't be seen in the Kicker, task panel or what ever it
is called for GNOM. I changed my session from KDE to GNOM, so I now
think to know what's wrong. ESP for GNOME seems to be aRts for KDE ...
because of the panel problem I write this mail the third time, I also
made changes to GNOME, but for me it's better to use KDE.

You might have to look at

GNOME-Menu >> System >> Preferences >> Sound >> Tab: Sound

and there disable ESD.

Gustin might find it useful to start and kill ESD, but I think it will
be wiser not to start ESD.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> Aargh, Icedove can't be seen in the Kicker, task panel or what ever it
> is called

for GNOME ... but I see, that I've to add Window List to the panel ...
and maybe I have to look for the menu to end some instances of Icedove
within GNOME sessions ... instead of searching I might run pidof and
kill ... IMO KDE is more pleasant

Peter, you should give KDE a chance .

Old 06-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> No, I find it useful to know that it is ESD that is the problem, as
> opposed to a jack config thing.
>
> It is also useful to know that
> I use ESD when connecting to one of my boxes with NX. If I know that
> ESD causes a problem when I get home, I at least know what to look for.
> ~ Putting random commands into qjackctl without understanding what they
> do is a problem

I'm only using KDE and for sound ALSA and JACK and I never heard about
ESD and it's not clear if Peter really has enabled it the way I think.
Not to know what's wrong is a problem and it's not wise to kill
something that shouldn't run. I think we all understand what killall ESD
means. It looks like I have solved the problem for an DE that I won't
use. If you have known it, you should have helped Peter

Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Claudux

Hi,

> Then GNOME Menu >> Desktop >> Preferences >> Sound : here I unticked the
> "enable system sounds (ESD)" choice.
> Now I can start Jack with no complaints, with the simple qjackctl commandHi,
>
> If I'd want to enable system sounds again (which I don't) , I'd have to
> change the icons' commands to "killall esd & ..." for all soundcard using
> applications, or is there something else I'm missing ?

Using Synaptic , you could try to install that library :

libesd-alsa0

"Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Shared libraries
This program is designed to mix together several digitized
audio streams for playback by a single device.

This package is for use with ALSA sound drivers."

If installed , you should be able to keep ESD running in your preferences

regards
Claude

Old 06-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Quentin Harley

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> yes indeed, now the only remaining "not working thing" is that i don't
> hear the system sounds, not even after installing the gnome-audio package

And for that I am grateful. There is nothing worse than a quiet moment
in my control room, and something goes "Tadaaaa" at the top of my
monitor's volume. :-D

Cheers,
Quentin