Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default hw:0 already in use after boot, with no programs running

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> Hi
> Since two days I have to do alsa force-reload (as root) before I can
> start any audio program without complaints.
> If I just start Jack after booting, I get the error : "hw:0 already in
> use"
> Any ideas where this behaviour comes from ?
>
> greetings
> Peter

Hi Peter

I have no idea :S.

If you are using KDE, aRts might be the cause.

Do an experiment:

See number 12 of the FAQs, http://www.64studio.com/faq_user and make
your sound card hw:1 and maybe an integrated soundcard hw:0 and set
input and output devices for qjackctl, resp. the jackd alsa command to hw:1.

Will it than say, that hw:1 is already in use?

Cheers,
Ralf

PS: To one of the other threads. If we will go to Cuba with a laptop and
we plan to come back without it, we should have a Linux running on it ;D.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221534.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> ok this works: I simply changed "/usr/bin/qjackctl" to "killal esd &
> /usr/bin/qjackctl" as the "command" in Accesoires >> Alacarte Menu
> Editor, for Jack control (Qjackctl).
>
> I don't have KDE installed but somedays ago i started changing the
> look and feel of Gnome, and experimented (but didn't finish) with some
> things that I forgot about by now, it wasn't a really good idea ...
>
> so now if i have this problem again, I'll try "killall esd" or if that
> doesn't work, "alsa force-reload"
>
> thanks
>
> ;-)
>
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net <mailto:ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>> wrote:
>
> Try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221534.

You have to thank Olson, the origin Ubuntu Studio founder for this
trick. I never was a fan of Mark Shuttleworth and I hop you read the
beginning of Olson's thread Why I am going back to Debian
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=307243>.

Also interesting http://www.linux-studio.org/news.php?extend.3, I also
just read the beginning of this interview.

Cinelerra seems to be back in the backports, my repository for Cinelerra
has been Harley's repository.

All this makes me say a second time for today; Thank you 64 Studio
people for your distro .

If Olson's trick won't work, please check out what will happen, if you
make your soundcard hw:1, like the way, I wrote about before I give you
the link to Olson's trick.

It would be better if anybody has a solution to solve the problem,
instead of doing a trick.