Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Daniel James

Default Political Statement - GNU/Linux instead of Apple and Microsoft

Hi Ralf,

> You can't read it in Apples English version, but it can be read in the
> German version, that Serbian people aren't allowed to download stuff
> from Apple.

It doesn't surprise me, the US has all kinds of export restrictions on
high tech.

> "[...] über das die Vereinigten Staaten ein Embargo verhängt haben
> (derzeit Kuba, Iran, Irak, Lybien, Nordkorea, *Serbien*, Sudan, Syrien
> [...]"

I hope we get some users in Cuba, as I understand the restrictions there
on individuals owning computers have been lifted recently, to some extent.

> SO NEVER USE APPLE OR MICROSOFT! THEY ARE RACISTS, ONLY THINKING ABOUT
> MONEY!

I don't dispute that they are motivated by money, but I suspect in this
case they value keeping on the right side of the US government than they
value supporting people in those countries. It's an easy decision for
them to make, when we're talking about poor countries which don't
manufacture electronic goods for export.

I also doubt that they care about linguistic minorities that have little
money, and where their language is not standardised, like the Roma.
Proprietary software companies make money by selling the same generic
product to millions of people, and you can't do that unless there's some
kind of homogenised culture, also known as a 'market' :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> I hope we get some users in Cuba, as I understand the restrictions
> there on individuals owning computers have been lifted recently, to
> some extent.

I don't know the actually state about culture in Cuba, but some years
ago, I know that they had good schools (or one good school) for film,
because I made a copy of a video for a Cuban filmmaker (I've forgotten
his name), also Cuban musicians have their wider public. The Barcadies
have payed the US government, but not the rest of the world, anyway it
would be nice to get (more) Cuban Linux users. The Chinese State is fine
with Linux and I don't like this, but I'm glad that there are Chinese
outs that can get free information without reprisals by using the Tor
network and using openPGP. I have to say that there is the need to have
Lenny for an application like TorK, so it won't be fine with 64 Studio
2.1. I don't think that a DAW needs TorK.