Old 06-08-2008, 03:53 PM
dave

Default dpkg

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Software removal using apt
>> <http://www.64studio.com/node/602#comment-2428>
>>
>> Hi Havoc,
>>
>> Software removal using apt-get remove --purge
>> $ = user # = root
>> Open a terminal and type:
>>
>> $ dpkg --get-selections > software1
>> and again
>> $ dpkg --get-selections > software2
>>
>> This will create 2 files in your home directory
>> software1
>> software2
>> These list the software installed, leave software1 alone.
>>
>> # grep "ice" software2
>> # grep "cups" software2
>> # grep "blue" software2
>> # grep "bluetooth" software2
>> etc.,etc., only you know what is not needed.
>>
>> # apt-get remove --purge (not needed software)
>>
>> Watch very carefully for shared libs and others apt might try to remove.
>> This method will also keep a .bash_history of the software you have
>> removed.
>>
>> $ dpkg --get-selections > software2
>>
>> again will update the file minus the software removed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> dave
>>

> Hi Dave
>
> a very good solution. Thank you. Is there a way also to get the
> versions of the packages? There's no need to do it, if someone will run
> a regular 64 Studio, so I think it would be off topic to ask this in the
> thread, but I'm running a mix of Debian versions and unofficial APT
> repositories. E.g. $ aptitude -V > ~/Desktop/versions.txt seems to be no
> good idea. I'll google myself for apt, aptitude and dpkg, --help wasn't
> a help for me. Maybe you (or someone else) have the answer ready to
> hand. If not, I'll search the net.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Hi Ralf,

I use this method to remove unused software quickly and
keep a record in bash history.

This is how I check versions.

# dpkg --list

# apt-cache search ardour
# apt-cache show ardour
# dpkg -l | grep "ardour"

# apt-cache search 64studio
# apt-cache show 64studio
# dpkg -l | grep "64studio"

# dpkg -l | grep "lib"

# aptitude search '~i'

Looking in synaptic is a good method,
apt, dpkg, and aptitude are other options.
Once you find the method you like,
it's good to stick with it.

Cheers,

dave.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Ralf Mardorf

dave wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>>> Software removal using apt
>>> <http://www.64studio.com/node/602#comment-2428>
>>>
>>> Hi Havoc,
>>>
>>> Software removal using apt-get remove --purge
>>> $ = user # = root
>>> Open a terminal and type:
>>>
>>> $ dpkg --get-selections > software1
>>> and again
>>> $ dpkg --get-selections > software2
>>>
>>> This will create 2 files in your home directory
>>> software1
>>> software2
>>> These list the software installed, leave software1 alone.
>>>
>>> # grep "ice" software2
>>> # grep "cups" software2
>>> # grep "blue" software2
>>> # grep "bluetooth" software2
>>> etc.,etc., only you know what is not needed.
>>>
>>> # apt-get remove --purge (not needed software)
>>>
>>> Watch very carefully for shared libs and others apt might try to remove.
>>> This method will also keep a .bash_history of the software you have
>>> removed.
>>>
>>> $ dpkg --get-selections > software2
>>>
>>> again will update the file minus the software removed.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> dave
>>>

>> Hi Dave
>>
>> a very good solution. Thank you. Is there a way also to get the
>> versions of the packages? There's no need to do it, if someone will run
>> a regular 64 Studio, so I think it would be off topic to ask this in the
>> thread, but I'm running a mix of Debian versions and unofficial APT
>> repositories. E.g. $ aptitude -V > ~/Desktop/versions.txt seems to be no
>> good idea. I'll google myself for apt, aptitude and dpkg, --help wasn't
>> a help for me. Maybe you (or someone else) have the answer ready to
>> hand. If not, I'll search the net.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>>

> Hi Ralf,
>
> I use this method to remove unused software quickly and
> keep a record in bash history.
>
> This is how I check versions.
>
> # dpkg --list
>
> # apt-cache search ardour
> # apt-cache show ardour
> # dpkg -l | grep "ardour"
>
> # apt-cache search 64studio
> # apt-cache show 64studio
> # dpkg -l | grep "64studio"
>
> # dpkg -l | grep "lib"
>
> # aptitude search '~i'
>
> Looking in synaptic is a good method,
> apt, dpkg, and aptitude are other options.
> Once you find the method you like,
> it's good to stick with it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> dave.

Thank you Dave

I wish to have a method without a GUI, because it's much easier to use,
when working in a terminal.

So for me

spinymouse@64studio:~$ dpkg -l > ~/Desktop/software_basic
spinymouse@64studio:~$ dpkg -l > ~/Desktop/software_actual

or something like this, will be a help, if I risk bizarre package
experiments. And in addition to it tar -p (resp. without -p, because
it's default for root) by another Linux, e.g. a live CD should be useful.

I'm thinking of smart, my favourite with Suse, but as far as I can
remember smart won't list versions like dpkg -l does .

dpkg --help says "-l|--list [<pattern> ...] List packages
concisely." so I didn't believe it will give information about the versions.

To learn more about Linux and especially about Debian, I try to help in
the forum, but because I'm a noob my helps sometimes aren't good.

I'm not able to learn just by reading, I need real problems to keep the
learned stuff in mind.

IMO it's a pity that there isn't a distro overarching packet management
like smart standard for Linux. Apart from distros like Gentoo or a Linux
from the scratch, this should be an option for each distro. I'm not sure
if I should compile smart, because it looks like the project is dead.

The alternatives to hwinfo for me are unfamilar. I'm not sure if I
should ask people in the forum to install it, when I need information
about there troubles. I use hwinfo for myself and no other commands and
it seems to be the most powerful command.

The versatility of Linux sometimes make things complicated.

The SMPT server fails, I hope this message isn't send several times to
the list. Sorry if so. I'll copy the mail into the providers mail client
... it's a Microsoft client ... I don't make deals with the devil ... I
have to use the client by using Iceweasel, I have no Windows . A last
try with Icedove ... okay, I have to try "Microsoft Outlook Web Access"
... hehe ... it won't work too, because "Ein Empfängername kann nicht
aufgelöst werden." ... there's no need to translate this, it's an
abnormal error ... I think I've to wait until Alice has fixed there
Windows servers.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
lina

Hi,

I read the man dpkg,

and didn't think too much, just tried the

dpkg --clear-selections

and then the dpkg --get-selections shows

root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | wc -l
2991
root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep " install" | wc -l
0

I feel I am in trouble again, don't know how to recover/restore.
kinda of very silly though, but is it very dangerous?

Thanks ahead,

Best regards,

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Lars Noodén

On 8/23/12 7:31 PM, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read the man dpkg,
>
> and didn't think too much, just tried the
>
> dpkg --clear-selections
>
> and then the dpkg --get-selections shows
>
> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | wc -l
> 2991
> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep " install" | wc -l
> 0
[snip]

This will give you a more accurate picture of what is there:

dpkg --get-selections | awk '$2 == "install" { print }'

Less to worry about that way.

Regards,
/Lars

Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM
lina

On Friday 24,August,2012 12:35 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 8/23/12 7:31 PM, lina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read the man dpkg,
>>
>> and didn't think too much, just tried the
>>
>> dpkg --clear-selections
>>
>> and then the dpkg --get-selections shows
>>
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | wc -l
>> 2991
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep " install" | wc -l
>> 0
> [snip]
>
> This will give you a more accurate picture of what is there:
>
> dpkg --get-selections | awk '$2 == "install" { print }'
>
> Less to worry about that way.

I am not familiar with dpkg,

now I tried the aptitude, during updating it showed me something like:

Unpacking replacement nautilus ...
Selecting previously *unselected package* mplayer.
Preparing to replace mplayer 3:1.1-dmo5 (using
.../mplayer_3%3a1.1-dmo6_amd64.deb) .

only the newly-updated ones shows me "install".

What was a bit worse is that I even tried the dpkg --set-selections
it chocked there, so I just quited.

Thanks,

Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 24 aug 12, 00:31:23, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read the man dpkg,
>
> and didn't think too much, just tried the
>
> dpkg --clear-selections
>
> and then the dpkg --get-selections shows
>
> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | wc -l
> 2991
> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep " install" | wc -l
> 0
>
> I feel I am in trouble again, don't know how to recover/restore.
> kinda of very silly though, but is it very dangerous?

Let's see what apt/itude thinks of this. Please post the output of

apt-get install -s

and

aptitude install -s

(-s stands for 'simulate' for both apt-get and aptitude)

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM
lina

On Friday 24,August,2012 12:41 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 24 aug 12, 00:31:23, lina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read the man dpkg,
>>
>> and didn't think too much, just tried the
>>
>> dpkg --clear-selections
>>
>> and then the dpkg --get-selections shows
>>
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | wc -l
>> 2991
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep " install" | wc -l
>> 0
>>
>> I feel I am in trouble again, don't know how to recover/restore.
>> kinda of very silly though, but is it very dangerous?
>
> Let's see what apt/itude thinks of this. Please post the output of
>
> apt-get install -s

# apt-get install -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

> and
>
> aptitude install -s

# aptitude install -s
The following packages will be REMOVED:
accountsservice acl acpi acpi-fakekey acpi-support acpi-support-base
acpid acroread acroread-debian-files acroread-dictionary-en
acroread-escript acroread-l10n-en adduser alien alsa-base alsa-utils
anacron ant ant-optional anthy-common apache2-mpm-worker
apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common apbs apg apmd apt

<snip the long long list packages, as you can guess, more than 2000
packages will be removed>

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, *2811 to remove* and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 9,209 MB will be freed.
libgconf-2-4 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4) but it is not going to be installed.

<snip, with long listh of dependence problems.>

> (-s stands for 'simulate' for both apt-get and aptitude)

I am in trouble, thanks for the helps.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 24 aug 12, 00:46:42, lina wrote:

> > aptitude install -s
>
> # aptitude install -s
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> accountsservice acl acpi acpi-fakekey acpi-support acpi-support-base
> acpid acroread acroread-debian-files acroread-dictionary-en
> acroread-escript acroread-l10n-en adduser alien alsa-base alsa-utils
> anacron ant ant-optional anthy-common apache2-mpm-worker
> apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common apbs apg apmd apt
>
> <snip the long long list packages, as you can guess, more than 2000
> packages will be removed>
>
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, *2811 to remove* and 1 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 9,209 MB will be freed.
> libgconf-2-4 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4) but it is not going to be installed.
>
> <snip, with long listh of dependence problems.>
>

> > (-s stands for 'simulate' for both apt-get and aptitude)
> >
> I am in trouble, thanks for the helps.

Try

aptitude keep-all

and then again the

aptitude install -s

As far as I can tell this should fix it

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
lina

On Friday 24,August,2012 12:41 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 24 aug 12, 00:31:23, lina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read the man dpkg,
>>
>> and didn't think too much, just tried the
>>
>> dpkg --clear-selections
>>
>> and then the dpkg --get-selections shows
>>
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | wc -l
>> 2991
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep " install" | wc -l
>> 0
>>
>> I feel I am in trouble again, don't know how to recover/restore.
>> kinda of very silly though, but is it very dangerous?
>
> Let's see what apt/itude thinks of this. Please post the output of
>
> apt-get install -s
>
> and
>
> aptitude install -s
>
> (-s stands for 'simulate' for both apt-get and aptitude)

I tried
# dpkg --get-selections | sed 's/deinstall/install/g' | dpkg
--set-selections

Now all shows me install. even the former few ones shows me uninstall.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
lina

On Friday 24,August,2012 12:55 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 24 aug 12, 00:46:42, lina wrote:
>>>
>>> aptitude install -s
>>
>> # aptitude install -s
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>> accountsservice acl acpi acpi-fakekey acpi-support acpi-support-base
>> acpid acroread acroread-debian-files acroread-dictionary-en
>> acroread-escript acroread-l10n-en adduser alien alsa-base alsa-utils
>> anacron ant ant-optional anthy-common apache2-mpm-worker
>> apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common apbs apg apmd apt
>>
>> <snip the long long list packages, as you can guess, more than 2000
>> packages will be removed>
>>
>> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, *2811 to remove* and 1 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 9,209 MB will be freed.
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> libgconf-2-4 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4) but it is not going to be installed.
>>
>> <snip, with long listh of dependence problems.>
>>

>>> (-s stands for 'simulate' for both apt-get and aptitude)
>>>
>> I am in trouble, thanks for the helps.
>
> Try
>
> aptitude keep-all
>
> and then again the
>
> aptitude install -s
>
> As far as I can tell this should fix it

Thank you very much.

Half an hours ago I told myself that I should go out to take a rest, but
at that time I still wanna do something, so just read the

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-software.en.html#s-no-devs

at that page mentioned the dpkg -l, so I started to read the "man dpkg"

Poor me, in some minutes I did feel a strong sense of worry.

I do love this list very much.

With all the best wishes,