-   -   dpkg (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/102804-dpkg.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-08-2008 12:58 PM

dpkg

> Software removal using apt
> <http://www.64studio.com/node/602#comment-2428>
>
> Hi Havoc,
>
> Software removal using apt-get remove --purge
> $ = user # = root
> Open a terminal and type:
>
> $ dpkg --get-selections > software1
> and again
> $ dpkg --get-selections > software2
>
> This will create 2 files in your home directory
> software1
> software2
> These list the software installed, leave software1 alone.
>
> # grep "ice" software2
> # grep "cups" software2
> # grep "blue" software2
> # grep "bluetooth" software2
> etc.,etc., only you know what is not needed.
>
> # apt-get remove --purge (not needed software)
>
> Watch very carefully for shared libs and others apt might try to remove.
> This method will also keep a .bash_history of the software you have
> removed.
>
> $ dpkg --get-selections > software2
>
> again will update the file minus the software removed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> dave

Hi Dave :)

a very good solution. Thank you:). Is there a way also to get the
versions of the packages? There's no need to do it, if someone will run
a regular 64 Studio, so I think it would be off topic to ask this in the
thread, but I'm running a mix of Debian versions and unofficial APT
repositories. E.g. $ aptitude -V > ~/Desktop/versions.txt seems to be no
good idea. I'll google myself for apt, aptitude and dpkg, --help wasn't
a help for me. Maybe you (or someone else) have the answer ready to
hand. If not, I'll search the net.

Cheers,
Ralf