-   -   Icedove - New version is better than the old once (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/101415-icedove-new-version-better-than-old-once.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-05-2008 04:57 PM

Icedove - New version is better than the old once

Hi :)

I wasn't fine with 64 Studio 2.0, I'm fine with 64 Studio 2.1 and 2.1rc
:) and I think 3.0 can become a distro for all needs.

Susan Dridi wrote:
>> a problem with icedove (windows will open by changing 'Local Folders')
>
> I've been seeing the same thing, kept meaning to mention it, and never
> did. I keep getting second instances of Icedove, which I keep closing,
> but it doesn't happen all the time. I don't think I noticed it in
> other programs.
>
> Take care,
>
> -Susan

Lenny's Icedove won't open a window by clicking a folder. Now a new
window only can be opened by the right mouse button, this is a better
behaviour and standard for Thunderbird's from other distros for a long
time. I tested it with a 64 Studio 2.1rc, upgraded to Lenny, by using
GNOME and KDE.

I just want to report this, if someone still has this problem, maybe
there isn't the need to upgrade to Lenny, it might be possible to
install a later version of Icedove.

Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with 64 Studio as a DAW, but this
information might be a help for some people.

Cheers,
Ralf

tim hall 06-06-2008 07:21 AM

Susan Dridi wrote:
>>> a problem with icedove (windows will open by changing 'Local Folders')
>>>
>> I've been seeing the same thing, kept meaning to mention it, and never
>> did. I keep getting second instances of Icedove, which I keep closing,
>> but it doesn't happen all the time. I don't think I noticed it in
>> other programs.
>>

> Lenny's Icedove won't open a window by clicking a folder. Now a new
> window only can be opened by the right mouse button, this is a better
> behaviour and standard for Thunderbird's from other distros for a long
> time. I tested it with a 64 Studio 2.1rc, upgraded to Lenny, by using
> GNOME and KDE.

There is so much about slushpigeon/sparrowfart that doesn't do what I
want it to do, that I don't know where to start. You should always
report these problems using the Debian BTS (i.e. reportbug or GNOME
bugbuddy :-&) - that way there is a chance that the original authors
may get to hear about users' problems and hopefully fix them. Can anyone
recommend an alternative email client that does as good a job of spam
filtering?

cheers,

tim

Ralf Mardorf 06-06-2008 10:03 AM

tim hall wrote:

>>> I've been seeing the same thing, kept meaning to mention it, and never
>>> did. I keep getting second instances of Icedove, which I keep closing,
>>> but it doesn't happen all the time. I don't think I noticed it in
>>> other programs.
>>>

>> Lenny's Icedove won't open a window by clicking a folder. Now a new
>> window only can be opened by the right mouse button, this is a better
>> behaviour and standard for Thunderbird's from other distros for a long
>> time. I tested it with a 64 Studio 2.1rc, upgraded to Lenny, by using
>> GNOME and KDE.
>>

> There is so much about slushpigeon/sparrowfart that doesn't do what I
> want it to do, that I don't know where to start. You should always
> report these problems using the Debian BTS (i.e. reportbug or GNOME
> bugbuddy :-&) - that way there is a chance that the original authors
> may get to hear about users' problems and hopefully fix them. Can anyone
> recommend an alternative email client that does as good a job of spam
> filtering?
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

Hi Tim :)

spam filtering is fine and there's no other client, that enables such
easy, the use of PGP, than "Thunderbird" does.
I know a lot of unpleasant behaviours of Thunderbird and Icedove, but
the one with the windows, that will be opened, was badly a pain in the
arse. I didn't reported it to the right people, because

- it wasn't a problem Thunderbird ever had and I thought the Icedove
people want the function to open a second instance by a double click

- my mouse buttons are not good enough debounced, because it's a very
old mouse and my WM's are set to have double click functions, while
doing a single click (standard for KDE and for GNOME edited by me)

The Icedove from Lenny is fine, concerning to the problem with the
unwanted opened windows, so I don't think the Icedove people will fix
the version for Etch.

I don't know if Lenny's Icedove is better or if there are dependencies
better. I just can say, that Lenny is much better than Etch as a state
of the art desktop client.

For me that means e.g. TorK can be used, KDE-apps that will work with
KDE ex 3.5.9 can be used and Icedove is better, more like the Thunderbird.

I'm not sure how stable my DAW is, because of the upgrades. If e.g.
jackd version 0.109.2 will be not as stable as the one of Etch (0.103.x
or 0.106.x or what version it's now), that won't be a problem for me,
when doing homerecording. However, it's good that 64 Studio is based
onto the stable Etch release and not onto Lenny, to be safe when doing
professional recording. Thank you for that :). But as a Linux for
everything I need, I can't await 3.0 and I hope there will be better ATI
drivers in versions greater than 3.0.

Cheers,
Ralf

Susan Dridi 06-06-2008 11:38 AM

tim hall wrote:

>>> I've been seeing the same thing, kept meaning to mention it, and
>>> never did. I keep getting second instances of Icedove, which I
>>> keep closing, but it doesn't happen all the time. I don't think I
>>> noticed it in other programs.
>>>
>> Lenny's Icedove won't open a window by clicking a folder. Now a new
>> window only can be opened by the right mouse button, this is a
>> better behaviour and standard for Thunderbird's from other distros
>> for a long time. I tested it with a 64 Studio 2.1rc, upgraded to
>> Lenny, by using GNOME and KDE.
>>
> There is so much about slushpigeon/sparrowfart that doesn't do what I
> want it to do, that I don't know where to start. You should always
> report these problems using the Debian BTS (i.e. reportbug or GNOME
> bugbuddy :-&) - that way there is a chance that the original
> authors may get to hear about users' problems and hopefully fix them.
> Can anyone recommend an alternative email client that does as good a
> job of spam filtering?
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

Hi Tim and All,

Ralf was quoting a message I sent back in March.

I haven't had a problem with Icedove in a long time. Perhaps one of the
security updates from Etch fixed it? Not that it matters, it's working
just fine and has been for quite a while.

I didn't know about bugbuddy or reportbug. Thanks!

$ sudo dpkg -l | grep "icedove"

1.5.0.13+1.5.0.15b.dfsg1+prepatch080417a-0etch1

Anyway, I like Icedove just fine as a mail client. I'm also pretty happy
using 64 Studio 2.1 and Etch.

Cheers!

-Susan

Gustin Johnson 06-06-2008 04:55 PM

Icedove - New version is better than the old once

Ralf Mardorf 06-06-2008 06:00 PM

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> | I hope there will be better ATI
> | drivers in versions greater than 3.0.
> |
> I would not bet on this. Binary only drivers have been a problem for a
> long time, and I see nothing on the horizon to change this. In fact,
> this is why my next machine will be Intel based with an Intel graphics
> adaptor. I for one have had enough.

Hi Gustin :)

I'm thinking of a NVidia. I wasn't fine with my old AGP-NVidia, but it
seems to be better than my new integrated ATI.

What I like with the ATI is, that it don't need a fan. A short search
and I only found AGP-Intel GFX cards and my new board has no AGP.

Cheers,
Ralf

Gustin Johnson 06-06-2008 08:45 PM

Icedove - New version is better than the old once

Ralf Mardorf 06-07-2008 05:08 AM

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> For now though, my next system will be Intel all the way through. You
> unfortunately do not have that luxury :(

Yes, I won't have this luxury, but maybe someone from the forum can buy
an Intel based system. He seems to have enough money and is looking for
new hardware. I can't help, because I don't know anything about Intel.
Maybe you can give him some recommendations.

http://www.64studio.com/node/591

Cheers,
Ralf