Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default 64 Studio 64bit

Hi

part of a problem I've got (I sent it to the list today, but it's not
through the list until now) is a wrong keyword.

xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Generic Video Card"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
# DefaultDepth 24
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
# EndSubSection
EndSection

The log file:

Parse error on line 67 of section Screen in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
"Depth" is not a valid keyword in this section.

Would someone be so kind and take a look, what the right keyword is.

I'll try "DefaultDepth 24" now, but maybe this won't solve the problem,
because something else might be wrong. "dpkg reconfigure" won't work,
because of an upgrade to Lenny (and a X downgrade back to Etch, that
might be broken).

It would be a help, if someone with a 64bit version will copy xorg.conf
with a vesa driver into a mail.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi
>
> part of a problem I've got (I sent it to the list today, but it's not
> through the list until now) is a wrong keyword.
>
> xorg.conf
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Device "Generic Video Card"
> Monitor "Generic Monitor"
> # DefaultDepth 24
> Depth 24
> Modes "1024x768"
> # EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> The log file:
>
> Parse error on line 67 of section Screen in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> "Depth" is not a valid keyword in this section.
>
> Would someone be so kind and take a look, what the right keyword is.
>
> I'll try "DefaultDepth 24" now, but maybe this won't solve the
> problem, because something else might be wrong. "dpkg reconfigure"
> won't work, because of an upgrade to Lenny (and a X downgrade back to
> Etch, that might be broken).
>
> It would be a help, if someone with a 64bit version will copy
> xorg.conf with a vesa driver into a mail.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
Now I get this error:

Parse error on line 68 of section Screen in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
"Modes" is not a valid keyword in this section.

but it is for the 32bit version.

Maybe the right keyword is "Modeline"?

To be continued ...

Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Gustin Johnson

Here is an example from my current xorg.conf file. The Modes line is all
on one line btw. This is from my Ubuntu laptop but the syntax should
not be different.

Section "Screen"
~ Identifier "Default Screen"
~ Device "nVidia Corporation C51 [Geforce 6150 Go]"
~ Monitor "Generic Monitor"
~ DefaultDepth 24
~ SubSection "Display"
~ Depth 24
~ Modes "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1280x800"
"1280x768" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
~ EndSubSection
EndSection

It looks like you are missing the SubSection part, which is where the
depth and mode options live.

I have not looked at Lenny at all. Is there a reason you are mixing
etch, 64studio, and Lenny on the same box? This seems like a recipe for
disaster to me.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Is there a reason you are mixing
> etch, 64studio, and Lenny on the same box? This seems like a recipe for
> disaster to me.

Thank you Gustin

yes there's a reason for me. I would like to have one Linux for all (if
this will be possible).

Some KDE-Apps and programs like TorK need a newer KDE. Until now DVD-RAM
won't work and there are problems with my ATI graphics. I also had
troubles with my old NVidia and the NVidia has been fine with Suse 10.3.

64 Studio upgraded to Lenny seems to be stable, but some programs are
still Etch, because of dependencies of 64 Studio 2.1rc.

It's an experiment and it looks like it will work without any troubles.
X isn't fine even if I use a normal 64 Studio 2.1rc.

If something will go terrible wrong, I would make a new installation of
64 Studio and I will use Suse as additional distro.

Cheers,
Ralf

PS: I can use the upgraded 64 Studio again, anyway I'm not fine with X
and the ATI.