Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
dave

Default 64studio-m-0528-14:46-i386-install

Hi all,

http://cdd.64studio.com/etch/builds/

64studio_master_i386.iso 28-May-2008 14:46 798M

No option to set hostname.
set up ext3 /media/hda3/ manually in partitioner.
Install is clean, reboot.

[ctrl+alt+f1] login as root:

# df -hT (I see already mounted)
/dev/hda3 ext3 /media/hda3
set hostname
install nVidia
#halt : restart

login to Desktop.
hda3 icon on Desktop and in computer browser.
Both give access to user, with read/write permissions (ok!)

Jack 0.2.22, Audacity 1.3.3-beta
When I try to record I see PortAudio connections in/out
and Audacity goes through the motions of recording.
No wav is recorded?. But I think it's my fault.
There are no crashes, and everything shuts down as it should.
Everything seems fine, probably something I am missing.
I will try recording again in the morning.
maybe I should set 41 kHz instead of 48 kHz.

Overall a good install and selecting my data partition at install
worked fine.

Cheers,

dave.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Daniel James

Hi Dave,

> When I try to record I see PortAudio connections in/out
> and Audacity goes through the motions of recording.
> No wav is recorded?

One of the limitations of using Audacity with JACK is that PortAudio
doesn't create JACK ports until after you hit the record button. So you
have to hit record first, then go into JACK Control and make your
connections. Only then will sound from the other JACK client be recorded.

> selecting my data partition at install
> worked fine.

Right, if you make mount points manually for those extra partitions
during the partitioning stage, they should show up in Gnome. The
libhal_free_dbus_error only affects users of multi-boot systems who skip
that step, which is easy to do, because the installer doesn't prompt
about it.

Thanks for all the install reports, they're really helpful!

Daniel

Old 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM
dave

Hi Daniel,

Thanks!,
I've just recorded a drum track from Ardour into Audacity.
It is an unusual routine. First time I've used jack with Audacity.
Looking at the take with long intro, and outro,
I was very impressed with Audacity's editing.
Once I was finished, the track still looped seamlessly. :-)
No problems here with jack/audacity. on i386.

I love installing! In fact I spend more time installing,
setting up and maintaining the computer than using it.

I'm glad the reports help,
Thank you all at 64studio for a great distro.

Cheers,

dave.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 AM
"R.Wolff"

Hi Dave

dave schrieb:

> I love installing! In fact I spend more time installing,
> setting up and maintaining the computer than using it.

ROTFLMAO

You're almost like me, or me almost like you.
I spend a lot of time installing/testing systems, configuring stuff, learning
new things on the way etc.

> I'm glad the reports help,
> Thank you all at 64studio for a great distro.

Yep, I can only second this again and again and a...

Cheers
Raphael

Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 AM
dave

R.Wolff wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> dave schrieb:
>
>> I love installing! In fact I spend more time installing,
>> setting up and maintaining the computer than using it.
>>

> ROTFLMAO
>
> You're almost like me, or me almost like you.
> I spend a lot of time installing/testing systems, configuring stuff, learning
> new things on the way etc.
>

>> I'm glad the reports help,
>> Thank you all at 64studio for a great distro.
>>

> Yep, I can only second this again and again and a...
>
> Cheers
> Raphael

Hi Raphael ;-)

My eldest son goes mad with me, I spend ages setting up linux,
when it's running kinda sweet, I kill it and start over :-))

Linux means two major things to me.
1: Choice, I can start again if I want to.
I served my time as an engineer, I love to know how things work.
After an accident in 1989, I met some great holistic healers.
Now I have my own Clinic, train every day, and study how people
work.
I chose to change my life, it was the right choice,
and I had to have an "accident" to make it happen.

2: The linux community,
Sometimes you try to help someone with a linux problem,
and it doesn't work out, it means they have to reinstall.
This upsets me, but starting over is sometimes the only way.
I need a howto on howto post on a mailing list.
My posts look fine in the text editor, I paste them into icedove
and send... Blam... the text "spews" all over the page.
I swear it makes me reinstall all over again. ;-)
The linux community IS Linux.

My reports are the least I can do,
I have great respect for the developers and people
who make linux happen, even if I don't understand
the details sometimes.
If the developers get one bit of useful info from one of
the novels I write, it is worth the time.

Check out the Dweezil Zappa link here Raphael.

http://mondodesigno.com/dancv1.html

Great page Daniel, hope you don't mind me linking it here.

If you do a google for human skull,
you will see engineering at its finest.

See what I mean, a little note to say thanks Raphael,,
turns into a novel.

Cheers,

dave.