Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
tim hall

Default Upgrading new laptop

Hi all,

I've just been given a mediumly old Dell inspiron 3800 laptop and I'm
currently installing the latest version of 64 Studio, which I will then
upgrade to Debian lenny, specifically to see what breaks.

Any suggestions of daft things you'd like me to test out would be
appropriate now, before I start to use the machine for serious work.

I can use this machine to track compatibility with 64 Studio and lenny
in advance of 64 Studio 3. It will also increase my availability and
writing time. :-)

cheers,

tim

Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 11:29 +0100, tim hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just been given a mediumly old Dell inspiron 3800 laptop and I'm
> currently installing the latest version of 64 Studio, which I will then
> upgrade to Debian lenny, specifically to see what breaks.
>
> Any suggestions of daft things you'd like me to test out would be
> appropriate now, before I start to use the machine for serious work.
>
> I can use this machine to track compatibility with 64 Studio and lenny
> in advance of 64 Studio 3. It will also increase my availability and
> writing time. :-)

I am working on it as well, and I have already a few fixes to commit

Please stay tuned I will soon post a detailed upgrade procedure.

Ciao!

Free

Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
tim hall

Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 11:29 +0100, tim hall wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just been given a mediumly old Dell inspiron 3800 laptop and I'm
>> currently installing the latest version of 64 Studio, which I will then
>> upgrade to Debian lenny, specifically to see what breaks.
>>
>> Any suggestions of daft things you'd like me to test out would be
>> appropriate now, before I start to use the machine for serious work.
>>
>> I can use this machine to track compatibility with 64 Studio and lenny
>> in advance of 64 Studio 3. It will also increase my availability and
>> writing time. :-)
>>
> I am working on it as well, and I have already a few fixes to commit
>
> Please stay tuned I will soon post a detailed upgrade procedure.

Cool. :-)

GIMP was easy to re-install. Ardour is currently uninstallable on lenny.
Just to confirm what we already knew.

cheers,

tim