Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Slim Dude

Default Jack Frost - System Freeze

I'm having a problem with my system freezing up. I've pretty much
narrowed it down to Jack. I can leave the machine running for days
without any problems, if Jack is not running. But if I fire up Jack and
then load Ardour or Muse and activate the connections (it is not
necessary to run the transport to trigger the problem) sometime in the
near future the system will lock up, requiring a reboot. It never
happens right away. Sometimes it's only 15 minutes, other times it will
go for a few hours. Last night it went for 2 hours and 45 minutes and I
watched the meters in Muse freeze. CPU temp was only 31 C. I've tried
both freebob (Presonus FirePods) and alsa (ICE1712 ADAT card) drivers
with the same result. Is there anywhere I can look to see what might be
precipitating this problem? Has anyone else experienced anything like
this?

Cheers,

Slim

Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Daniel James

Hi Slim,

> I'm having a problem with my system freezing up. I've pretty much
> narrowed it down to Jack.

It may also be related to the realtime kernel. Is there any useful
information in /var/log/syslog around the time of the freeze?

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Paul Morris

Hi Daniel,

I'm sure it has something to do with that. I'm getting a flashing
CapsLock+ScrollLock when it freezes, which I'm told indicates a kernel
panic.

The only thing in syslog prior to the freeze are multiple lines like so:

Feb 12 18:56:14 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Feb 12 19:02:35 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Feb 12 19:07:02 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Feb 12 19:09:08 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Feb 12 19:10:45 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Feb 12 19:14:44 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Feb 12 19:15:28 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2
Feb 12 19:17:39 64studio kernel: usb 2-8: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 2

I am using a USB keyboard and mouse. That's about all so I'm not sure
what is being reset.

I tried running jackd from the command line with the same result. I
tried without Periods/Buffer option which defaults to 2 and the thing
hung within seconds. I've been using 3 so I tried 4 and got a couple of
hours out of it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Slim

Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Daniel James

Hi Slim,

> I tried running jackd from the command line with the same result. I
> tried without Periods/Buffer option which defaults to 2 and the thing
> hung within seconds. I've been using 3 so I tried 4 and got a couple of
> hours out of it.

That would point to a soundcard problem as the cause of the other
freezes. Which soundcard do you have?

Is it the Hoontech/ST Audio DSP 24 on the machine that you had freeze-up
problems with back in 2006? My memory is not that good, but I do save my
email archives :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Paul Morris

Hi Daniel,

That card is in the box, yes. I'm going to pull it and see what happens.
I also have an idea what may be causing all the reset USB events after a
night of heavy googling. I have a USB CF Reader in the box too that I
didn't give any mind to. There's nothing plugged into it and that may
even indeed be the problem. There was at one point when I used it to
transfer some files. I've read there can be issues with some of these
readers so I'm going to pull that too.

I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Slim