Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM
"pw.marcus"

Default 2.6.24 kernel

What's up with the 2.6.24 kernel ?

It doesn't seem possible anymore to recompile with the
"CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES" option as module, then for realtime-lsm
it's a problem !

Any idea ?

Cheers

Marc

Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Daniel James

Hi Marc,

> What's up with the 2.6.24 kernel ?
>
> It doesn't seem possible anymore to recompile with the
> "CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES" option as module, then for realtime-lsm
> it's a problem !

In 64 Studio we switched from using realtime-lsm to rlimits. The bigger
problem we have with recent kernels is that the binary nVidia drivers
need a more recent X.org than Etch provides, so to go to a newer kernel
we to move quite a long way from Debian stable.

After the 2.1 release, we might have to consider making a new
development branch where the core packages are more up-to-date.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
"pw.marcus"

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your fast answer, I see the problem, how to use rtlimits ?
If it is explained on the 64 studio site, I'll check.

Cheers

Marc

Old 02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
"pw.marcus"

Hi Daniel,

Which version of libpam-modules do I need to use rlimits, does the one
aviable in official etch is enough ?

Cheers

Marc

Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
tim hall

pw.marcus wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Which version of libpam-modules do I need to use rlimits, does the one
> aviable in official etch is enough ?

That depends on whether it has been appropriately rebuilt.
I'm using a specifically recompiled libpam-modules 0.79-4, which I
appear to have locked down. Long time since I looked. The package I'm
using is one Eric Rz made ages ago.
The version in Debian etch is 0.79-5. I understood that rtlimits support
was included as standard in >= 0.80. I'm not sure which version is in 64
Studio stable offhand, but I would expect it to work.
Perhaps I should release the locks and find out!

cheers,

tim