Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Slim Dude

Default LiveMix

Hi Daniel,

I've been searching for something which would work well in a live
context, to replace my mixer. All the high end desks on the market now
are computer-based, Midas's console is even running Linux. I came across
a cool package which is available in the Ubuntu Universe (Multiverse?)
repository called LiveMix. It is modelled after the old Soundcraft
Spirit consoles. I pulled it up on my laptop and it looks pretty cool.
Any chance you could add it to the 64-Studio repositories?

Cheers,

Slim

Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Daniel James

Hi Slim,

> I've been searching for something which would work well in a live
> context, to replace my mixer.

There are several software mixers available. There's JackMixDesk

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jackmixdesk/

I also like the look of JackMix:

http://www.arnoldarts.de/drupal/?q=JackMix:intro

> All the high end desks on the market now
> are computer-based, Midas's console is even running Linux

Do you have a link to that specific console? I've seen the Allen & Heath
iLive, which is Linux based.

> I came across
> a cool package which is available in the Ubuntu Universe (Multiverse?)
> repository called LiveMix. It is modelled after the old Soundcraft
> Spirit consoles.

Heh heh, it's even the same shade of grey!

> Any chance you could add it to the 64-Studio repositories?

Yes, if it's stable enough. I would normally advise trying a build from
source for initial tests, but if you're using the 64 Studio testing
branch, you will find that the required libqt4-dev package in Etch is
out of date.

Cheers!

Daniel