Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Daniel James

Default Information wanted regarding to differences between oldish CPUs and modern CPUs regarding to IRQ handling

Hi Ralf,

> on the quick I didn't found information about the pin
> allocation, but I'll read it again in the evening.

The Card Connections and their Application, page 30 in the English version.

> If so the card might be broken all the time, it's a gift, or I might
> have killed it, because I did a bad soldering

Try a ready made opto-isolated cable from eBay or a dusty computer shop,
about 5 euro.

If your card is really busted, there is one available on eBay.de right
now - the price is hovering at 1 euro, but there are five days to go!

http://cgi.ebay.de/Soundkarte-Terratec-EWX-24-96-/190410934543?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Studioequipment&hash= item2c5560490f

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 10:01 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> > on the quick I didn't found information about the pin
> > allocation, but I'll read it again in the evening.
>
> The Card Connections and their Application, page 30 in the English version.
>
> > If so the card might be broken all the time, it's a gift, or I might
> > have killed it, because I did a bad soldering
>
> Try a ready made opto-isolated cable from eBay or a dusty computer shop,
> about 5 euro.

I didn't found such a cable for this price. Even the forbidden leaded
solder is more expensive. I hate to solder without Pb. I'll search the
web in the evening, to get a ready build cable for this price.

> If your card is really busted, there is one available on eBay.de right
> now - the price is hovering at 1 euro, but there are five days to go!
>
> http://cgi.ebay.de/Soundkarte-Terratec-EWX-24-96-/190410934543?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Studioequipment&hash= item2c5560490f
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Wow, this is cool. Thank you very much . Even if my card isn't busted
I could sync it with the existing for audio . But, there are still 5
days ... enough time to search for my Ebay account data, but also a lot
of time for an increasing price.

Only MIDI might be broken for the card that's mounted.

###

Is there anybody using an USB MIDI who could run the ALSA MIDI latency
test?

Referring to the information I guess that USB seems to be the major
issue.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf,

>> Try a ready made opto-isolated cable from eBay or a dusty computer shop,
>> about 5 euro.
>
> I didn't found such a cable for this price.

This one is 8.99 euro including delivery:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Midi-Kabel-IN-OUT-THRU-Game-Port-Verl-2070-/300440692869?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Allgemeines_Musikinst rumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item45f3a92885

> Referring to the information I guess that USB seems to be the major
> issue.

It would be good to benchmark USB against PCI gameport MIDI. If it makes
an appreciable difference to jitter, this will certainly affect the
design of our future products.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-06-30 03:45 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>>> Try a ready made opto-isolated cable from eBay or a dusty computer shop,
>>> about 5 euro.
>>
>> I didn't found such a cable for this price.
>
> This one is 8.99 euro including delivery:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.de/Midi-Kabel-IN-OUT-THRU-Game-Port-Verl-2070-/300440692869?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Allgemeines_Musikinst rumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item45f3a92885
>
>> Referring to the information I guess that USB seems to be the major
>> issue.
>
> It would be good to benchmark USB against PCI gameport MIDI. If it makes
> an appreciable difference to jitter, this will certainly affect the
> design of our future products.

I have benchmarked my RME. I am trying to find my midisport 2x2, the 1x
midisport has the wrong gender connector on it (I do not use MIDI a lot
so I do not have a plethora of cables and connectors). I will post my
results when I get them.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 10:45 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> >> Try a ready made opto-isolated cable from eBay or a dusty computer shop,
> >> about 5 euro.
> >
> > I didn't found such a cable for this price.
>
> This one is 8.99 euro including delivery:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.de/Midi-Kabel-IN-OUT-THRU-Game-Port-Verl-2070-/300440692869?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Allgemeines_Musikinst rumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item45f3a92885
>
> > Referring to the information I guess that USB seems to be the major
> > issue.
>
> It would be good to benchmark USB against PCI gameport MIDI. If it makes
> an appreciable difference to jitter, this will certainly affect the
> design of our future products.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel

thank you. Could it be, that Ebay might have deleted or blocked my
account, because I only did one order in Dec 2004 and my email address
did change?

I don't have the time to read all the lists mails right now and I also
can't read Ebay's general business terms, but perhaps somebody has
knowledge about this.

I did send Ebay a request, they did reply by an automated answer and
asked me to do a second request, if needed. So I did.

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 14:14 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On 10-06-30 03:45 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> > Hi Ralf,

> >> I didn't found such a cable for this price.
> >
> > This one is 8.99 euro including delivery:
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.de/Midi-Kabel-IN-OUT-THRU-Game-Port-Verl-2070-/300440692869?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Allgemeines_Musikinst rumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item45f3a92885
> >
> >> Referring to the information I guess that USB seems to be the major
> >> issue.
> >
> > It would be good to benchmark USB against PCI gameport MIDI. If it makes
> > an appreciable difference to jitter, this will certainly affect the
> > design of our future products.
> >
> I have benchmarked my RME. I am trying to find my midisport 2x2, the 1x
> midisport has the wrong gender connector on it (I do not use MIDI a lot
> so I do not have a plethora of cables and connectors). I will post my
> results when I get them.

Thank you very much .

Old 07-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 10:45 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.de/Midi-Kabel-IN-OUT-THRU-Game-Port-Verl-2070-/300440692869?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Allgemeines_Musikinst rumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item45f3a92885

On order!

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 10:01 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.de/Soundkarte-Terratec-EWX-24-96-/190410934543?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Studioequipment&hash= item2c5560490f

Artikel, für die Sie geboten haben: Artikelbezeichnung Soundkarte
Terratec EWX 24/96
Restzeit: 4 Tage 4 Stunden [05.07.10 16:24:28 MESZ]
Übersicht: 2 Gebote
Aktuelles Gebot: EUR 2,00
Ihr Maximalgebot: EUR 1,50

It was 1,00 €, I offered 1,50 €, then it directly became 2,00 €, hence I
won't waste my time by gambling for this card.