-   64 Studio Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/)
-   -   File manager for 64 Studio 3.3 onwards (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/370773-file-manager-64-studio-3-3-onwards.html)

Quentin Harley 05-13-2010 09:12 PM

File manager for 64 Studio 3.3 onwards

Currently 64 studio 3.3 alpha comes sans file manager. pc-man is not
the greatest (yet) and I had lots of issues - not behaving the way it
should.

After looking for a way to browse samba shares on a LAN, I found gigolo,
and so far I am impressed.

Could we include it in the next alpha?

Ralf Mardorf 05-13-2010 09:23 PM

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Currently 64 studio 3.3 alpha comes sans file manager. pc-man is not
> the greatest (yet) and I had lots of issues - not behaving the way it
> should.
>
> After looking for a way to browse samba shares on a LAN, I found gigolo,
> and so far I am impressed.
>
> Could we include it in the next alpha?

Hi Quentin :)

could you explain some of the issues you have got when using PCManFM?
I'll try to test it [1]. I didn't notice anything bad when using it. I'm
missing the old faithful Konqueror, but compared to Nautilus and other
file browsers PCManFM _seems_ to be a good choice here.

Cheers!

Ralf

[1] No Samba-Win-Connection here ;).

Quentin Harley 05-13-2010 09:33 PM

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Currently 64 studio 3.3 alpha comes sans file manager. pc-man is not
> the greatest (yet) and I had lots of issues - not behaving the way it
> should.
>
> After looking for a way to browse samba shares on a LAN, I found gigolo,
> and so far I am impressed.

Ok, ignore ;-)

gigolo actually opens Nautilus, which I installed some time back out of
frustration. No wonder I like it.

Oh well...

Ralf Mardorf 05-13-2010 09:49 PM

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Quentin Harley wrote:
>
>> Currently 64 studio 3.3 alpha comes sans file manager. pc-man is not
>> the greatest (yet) and I had lots of issues - not behaving the way it
>> should.
>>
>> After looking for a way to browse samba shares on a LAN, I found gigolo,
>> and so far I am impressed.
>>

> Ok, ignore ;-)
>
> gigolo actually opens Nautilus, which I installed some time back out of
> frustration. No wonder I like it.
>
> Oh well...

Here PCManFM is nearly equal to Nautilus, but OTOH I don't need to
handle shared folders and files.
Btw. I never used Nautilus for 3.3 alpha, but I do remember that
Nautilus used when running a session on Fluxbox, tends to switch from
Fluxbox to GNOME during the Fluxbox session.

I don't know Gigolo, but perhaps you could check if Nautlius-Gigolo
unwanted switches from LXDE to GNOME. I'll test using Nautilus on LXDE
tomorrow.

I've bad experiences when using Nautlius on another DE, but GNOME.

Just 2 Cents,

Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 05-13-2010 10:19 PM

File manager for 64 Studio 3.3 onwards

PS:

Linux guys might like to have the choice between different windows
managers and desktop environments AND this could cause a lot of trouble
... much more than the nautilus-issue I indicated. When I reported
trouble regarding to a set up using e17 and GNOME, the people from the
e17 mailing list told me, that it's not expected that anybody using e17
ever will use another WM/DE too.

Daniel James 05-14-2010 08:41 AM

File manager for 64 Studio 3.3 onwards

Hi Quentin,

> gigolo actually opens Nautilus, which I installed some time back out of
> frustration. No wonder I like it.

One of the reasons that I didn't put a file manager or a full desktop
into the 3.3 alphas is that I wanted to make sure we were heading down
the right path. After using LXDE for a while, and comparing it to my
other machines running 64 Studio 2.1 and 3.0beta3, I can see that GNOME
has genuinely useful features, which perhaps I'd begun to take for granted.

I already feel better about GNOME since we switched back to Debian-style
root logins, instead of Ubuntu-style sudo by default. Giving users the
power to screw up their system with a few mouse clicks makes GNU/Linux
too much like Windows for my taste :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 05-14-2010 09:15 AM

Daniel James wrote:
> I can see that GNOME has genuinely useful features, which perhaps I'd begun to take for granted.

What features are you missing for LXDE? I can't notice any disadvantage
for the DE, but I'm using it with some GNOME apps, e.g. gnome-terminal
and gedit.

Ralf