FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > 64 Studio > 64 Studio Developer

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM
"jickduck@juno.com"
 
Default 64 studio alpha 3.3 install failed

Hi,

I downloaded the 64 studio alpha 3.3 ISO and tried to install.

*

Configuring the network with DHCP – failed. Not a problem. I just chose “Do not configure network at this time”



Time zone – Eastern

Partition – Used entire Disk

*Used weak password (1 letter) while installing the base system.

The Base system installed fine.

*

During “Select and Install Software”, it stops at 11% - tasksel

For a split second it jumps to 85% and says “cleaning up” and then it says that the installation failed.

I’m running a P4 extreme 3.4 GHz with 2gig ram Dell inspiron 9100 Laptop. All my*installs are using the i386 ISO's, not the 64 bit ones.

Jick






__________________________________________________ __________
AARP 50+ Auto Insurance
Over 50? You Could Save an Average $402 On AARP Auto Ins From The Hartford.
AARP.TheHartford.com______________________________ _________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
"Daniel James"
 
Default 64 studio alpha 3.3 install failed

Hi Jick,

> During ?Select and Install Software?, it stops at 11% - tasksel
> For a split second it jumps to 85% and says ?cleaning up? and then it says
> that the installation failed.

If you are using the alpha2 iso then it sounds like faulty media. Try
switching to the console with ctrl-alt-F4 when installation fails, and
there should be an error message there. Please let me know what that error
message says.

Cheers!

Daniel

_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Guido Piazzi
 
Default 64 studio alpha 3.3 install failed

Il giorno lun, 26/04/2010 alle 20.16 +0000, jickduck@juno.com ha
scritto:
> For a split second it jumps to 85% and says “cleaning up” and then it
> says that the installation failed.
>
> I’m running a P4 extreme 3.4 GHz with 2gig ram Dell inspiron 9100
> Laptop. All my installs are using the i386 ISO's, not the 64 bit ones.

Maybe some extra check is in order... however, I did a quick install
test on my MacBook with the latest i386 alpha and it installed an amd64
system, not an i386 one! AFAIK, P4 is 32-bit, isn't it?

One installation step failed: "chroot /target /usr/sbin/cdd-config
64studio" (IIRC) I tried chrooting in a console and running cdd-config
manually, but the "64studio" command can't be found.

The system boots fine. GDM works, but it didn't let me log in until I
explicitly chose the LXDE session. Some panel icons are missing. ALSA
seq is still broken.

Hope it helps,
Guido


_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default 64 studio alpha 3.3 install failed

Guido Piazzi wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 26/04/2010 alle 20.16 +0000, jickduck@juno.com ha
> scritto:
>
>> For a split second it jumps to 85% and says “cleaning up” and then it
>> says that the installation failed.
>>
>> I’m running a P4 extreme 3.4 GHz with 2gig ram Dell inspiron 9100
>> Laptop. All my installs are using the i386 ISO's, not the 64 bit ones.
>>
>
> Maybe some extra check is in order... however, I did a quick install
> test on my MacBook with the latest i386 alpha and it installed an amd64
> system, not an i386 one! AFAIK, P4 is 32-bit, isn't it?
>
> One installation step failed: "chroot /target /usr/sbin/cdd-config
> 64studio" (IIRC) I tried chrooting in a console and running cdd-config
> manually, but the "64studio" command can't be found.
>
> The system boots fine. GDM works, but it didn't let me log in until I
> explicitly chose the LXDE session. Some panel icons are missing. ALSA
> seq is still broken.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Guido

If you at least will install one application, you likely will get all
missing icons. I've got no trouble with the alpha amd64, but I didn't
test ALSA jet. That we even need to install basics, such as PCManFM is
strange, but no big deal.

2 Cents,

Ralf
_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
"Daniel James"
 
Default 64 studio alpha 3.3 install failed

Hi Guido,

> I did a quick install
> test on my MacBook with the latest i386 alpha and it installed an amd64
> system, not an i386 one!

I think you must have mixed up the isos, as there are separate images for
i386 and amd64.

> AFAIK, P4 is 32-bit, isn't it?

There are a few Pentium 4 CPUs that have the 64-bit feature, but most don't.

> One installation step failed: "chroot /target /usr/sbin/cdd-config
> 64studio" (IIRC) I tried chrooting in a console and running cdd-config
> manually, but the "64studio" command can't be found.

You should download the latest master iso, this bug was fixed in alpha2.

Cheers!

Daniel

_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Guido Piazzi
 
Default 64 studio alpha 3.3 install failed

Il giorno mar, 27/04/2010 alle 16.44 +0200, Daniel James ha scritto:
> Hi Guido,
>
> > I did a quick install
> > test on my MacBook with the latest i386 alpha and it installed an amd64
> > system, not an i386 one!
>
> I think you must have mixed up the isos, as there are separate images for
> i386 and amd64.

Sorry... I actually did just that!

Regards,
gp


_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default 64 studio alpha 3.3 install failed

Guido Piazzi wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 27/04/2010 alle 16.44 +0200, Daniel James ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Guido,
>>
>>
>>> I did a quick install
>>> test on my MacBook with the latest i386 alpha and it installed an amd64
>>> system, not an i386 one!
>>>
>> I think you must have mixed up the isos, as there are separate images for
>> i386 and amd64.
>>
>
> Sorry... I actually did just that!
>
> Regards,
> gp

Shit happens don't feel ashamed, everybody sometimes didn't check MD5
sums and fooled his self, resp. everybody once compare an ISO with the
correct MD5sum and didn't note a fault, errare humanum est, simply
ignore ""Errare (Errasse) humanum est, sed in errare (errore)
perseverare diabolicum."" *lol* ... hh, shit happens all the time.
_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org