Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default 3.3-alpha2 - a slightly less bleeding release

Hi Daniel

> EXT4 file system by default

When Suse made it default a long time ago I avoided to use ext4after
make inquiries. I can't remember the reasons anymore, but there were
some issues not to use ext4. Is ext4 without any disadvantages now and
is it ok for hard disk recording too?

> 0. The amd64 version has not been tested yet (for a change).

I guess I'll try to install it later today. Did you test the installing
process?

Are there packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers or is the
linux-headers package available?

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Robin Gareus

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Daniel
>
>> EXT4 file system by default
>>

> When Suse made it default a long time ago I avoided to use ext4after
> make inquiries. I can't remember the reasons anymore, but there were
> some issues not to use ext4. Is ext4 without any disadvantages now

yes, the last ones were fixed in 2.6.30 and after that even back-ported
to older versions by some distributors. see the "Delayed allocation and
potential data loss" section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4

> and is it ok for hard disk recording too?
yes.

The delayed allocation and multiblock-alloc feature even increase
performance compared to ext3.
However in case the system goes down unexpectedly you *may* loose a
longer time-span of data compared to ext3. (The aforementioned 2.6.30
patch only takes care of leaving the filesystem in a consistent stage.)

Anyway if there's a power-outage during a recording session, all other
audio-equipment will also shut down and *usually* one has to worry about
more than the last 5 seconds on the tape. YMMV

>> 0. The amd64 version has not been tested yet (for a change).
>
> I guess I'll try to install it later today. Did you test the installing
> process?
>
> Are there packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers

I did not follow recent discussions to on that subject too closely, but
IIRC 64studio won't provide _any_ packages with proprietary software.