FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > 64 Studio > 64 Studio Developer

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default NVIDIA 3.3 alpha1

> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [64studio-users] A request at the hands of the persons
> responsible for 64 Studio
> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:55:17 +0100
> From: Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com>
> Reply-To: 64 Studio users mailing list
> <64studio-users@lists.64studio.com>
> To: 64 Studio users mailing list <64studio-users@lists.64studio.com>
> References: <1271091640.1504.32.camel@suse11-2>
>
>
> Hi Ralf,
>
> > I still couldn't solve how to build the proprietary driver or to get the
> > Ubuntu kernel-rt and the packaged restricted modules running on 64
> > Studio 3.0-beta3 amd64.
> >
> > Should I brief the troubles and open a ticket or send an email to the 64
> > Studio developers list?
>
> I don't think this will be necessary, because we now have a 3.3 alpha
> release where the kernel and base distro are different versions compared
> to 3.0-beta3. Let's see where we get to with those versions.
>
> I'm particularly interested to hear if you still experience problems
> with MIDI jitter when using 3.3x versions.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel
>

Hi

I'll become a tester regarding to NVIDIA issues for 3.3 alpha1, so I
enabled receiving mails from the developers list again.

Is there a way to get the install media from
http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-devel/2010-March/006789.html
bootable on an USB stick or is there a way to install it online by PPPoE?

What's the minimal disk space I need for the final install? I've got no
time and no empty media to clean my hard disks at the moment, so gparted
will be my friend.

I was able to build the proprietary nvidia driver for a self build
kernel 2.6.31.6-rt19 on Suse for my GeForce 7200 GS, but for 64 Studio
3.0-beta3, my everyday and studio Linux, I nor couldn't build the driver
for a self build kernel 2.6.31.12-rt20, neither the Ubuntu packages for
the Ubuntu kernel-rt and the restricted stuff did work. FWIW even
setting up X when using the FLOSS nv driver isn't fun.

Cheers!

Ralf

_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Gustin Johnson
 
Default NVIDIA 3.3 alpha1

On 10-04-14 09:50 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
<snip>
>
> I'll become a tester regarding to NVIDIA issues for 3.3 alpha1, so I
> enabled receiving mails from the developers list again.
>
> Is there a way to get the install media from
> http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-devel/2010-March/006789.html
> bootable on an USB stick or is there a way to install it online by PPPoE?
>
> What's the minimal disk space I need for the final install? I've got no
> time and no empty media to clean my hard disks at the moment, so gparted
> will be my friend.
>
Disk space requirements are not all that different from before. I would
actually caution against testing the alpha on the same hard drive as
existing distros unless you actually know what you are doing. The main
difference is that GRUB2 is now the default in recent versions of
Ubuntu, and when 10.04 is released that is what it will use (and thus
64Studio 3.3).

This is not a big deal but it can trip you up. I like to think that I
know what I am doing when it comes to GRUB, and I honestly do not dual+
boot anymore just because there are things I would rather do with my time.

> I was able to build the proprietary nvidia driver for a self build
> kernel 2.6.31.6-rt19 on Suse for my GeForce 7200 GS, but for 64 Studio
> 3.0-beta3, my everyday and studio Linux, I nor couldn't build the driver
> for a self build kernel 2.6.31.12-rt20, neither the Ubuntu packages for
> the Ubuntu kernel-rt and the restricted stuff did work. FWIW even
> setting up X when using the FLOSS nv driver isn't fun.
>
Did you download the driver from nVidia or are you still trying to use
the restricted module package?

_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 
Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default NVIDIA 3.3 alpha1

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On 10-04-14 09:50 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I'll become a tester regarding to NVIDIA issues for 3.3 alpha1, so I
>> enabled receiving mails from the developers list again.
>>
>> Is there a way to get the install media from
>> http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-devel/2010-March/006789.html
>> bootable on an USB stick or is there a way to install it online by PPPoE?
>>
>> What's the minimal disk space I need for the final install? I've got no
>> time and no empty media to clean my hard disks at the moment, so gparted
>> will be my friend.
>>
>>
> Disk space requirements are not all that different from before. I would
> actually caution against testing the alpha on the same hard drive as
> existing distros unless you actually know what you are doing. The main
> difference is that GRUB2 is now the default in recent versions of
> Ubuntu, and when 10.04 is released that is what it will use (and thus
> 64Studio 3.3).
>
> This is not a big deal but it can trip you up. I like to think that I
> know what I am doing when it comes to GRUB, and I honestly do not dual+
> boot anymore just because there are things I would rather do with my time.
>

I don't know if I know what I do . I need to use a hard disk where I
have other distros installed too.
Isn't it possible not to install GRUB? I won't install GRUB, but use the
existing one by another distro.
Btw. I won't test the 3.3 alpha, resp. I only will test the NVIDIA driver.

>> I was able to build the proprietary nvidia driver for a self build
>> kernel 2.6.31.6-rt19 on Suse for my GeForce 7200 GS, but for 64 Studio
>> 3.0-beta3, my everyday and studio Linux, I nor couldn't build the driver
>> for a self build kernel 2.6.31.12-rt20, neither the Ubuntu packages for
>> the Ubuntu kernel-rt and the restricted stuff did work. FWIW even
>> setting up X when using the FLOSS nv driver isn't fun.
>>
>>
> Did you download the driver from nVidia or are you still trying to use
> the restricted module package?
>

For 3.0-beta3 I also tried to build the current proprietary driver from
NVIDIA for a self-build kernel, but it failed, while it is ok for Suse.
_______________________________________________
64studio-devel mailing list
64studio-devel@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org