Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
tim hall

Default documentation and testing

Hi Toine,
you wrote:

> I was a Ubuntu Studio developper, I was focused on hardware test and
> tweak, users support and a bit of documentation. For several reasons,
> mainly because I disagree with the team leader, I have some time now to
> test, to write documentations, etc...
>
> I own different professional sound cards (pci, pcmcia, firewire) from
> RME, Echo and Presonus, and use it often with my band or for personnal
> audio projects. And I give some formation at the university of Lyon,
> France, about how to record audio with free softwares, mainly with Ardour 2.
>
> So I can offer some time for 64studio. If you need a non-programmer, but
> advanced multimedia Linux user, who can write documentations (english or
> french), help users, etc.., I would be glad to help.

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sure someone with your skills would fit
in really well round here. Your experience with Hardware could be very
useful, especially WRT firewire. We are only able to provide support for
a basic level of operation at the moment, it would be great to have some
help with the more advanced hardwares.

AFAIK, there is no French translation of http://64studio.com/manual yet.
I'd be interested to know if I have used any phrases which are
particularly difficult to translate.

http://64studio.com/forum/ will give you an idea of current issues. Feel
free to sign up and dive in!

cheers,

tim

Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Daniel James

Hi Antoine,

>> I own different professional sound cards (pci, pcmcia, firewire) from
>> RME, Echo and Presonus

Do you happen to have an RME HDSP 9632? John Emmas has a problem where
64 Studio 2.0 will not boot with this card installed, but 1.0 will. The
culprit seems to be our 2.6.21-RT kernel package, so we'd like to get
this fixed for our forthcoming 2.1 release.

>> If you need a non-programmer, but
>> advanced multimedia Linux user, who can write documentations (english or
>> french), help users, etc.., I would be glad to help.

Great!! I have enabled French as a language on our Drupal website, which
for the time being, just means that users can set a language preference
when they register.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 01-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Daniel James

Hi Marc,

> I have a RME 9632 with kernel 2.6.21-RT and It works.

Which version of the kernel are you using? (uname -a)

Thanks!

Daniel

Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
"pw.marcus"

I have a RME 9632 with kernel 2.6.21-RT and It works.
I'm on debian etch and using 64 studio for the audio stuff.

The problem can come for multiple reasons:

- "index=" option in alsa configuration if you have another card
- No alsafirmware package installed
- Irqs problem
- firmware version of the card
- ACPI

Before anything, have you tried to disable any second soundcard, and
have you tried to plug the card in another PCI slot ?

Cheers

Marc

Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 PM
"pw.marcus"

Hi Daniel,

* I've built my own kernel with vanilla sources, and have keeped the
alsa drivers from the sources:

$uname -a
Linux ordizic 2.6.21.5-rt18-k8-2 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Fri Jun 29 16:16:50
CEST 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

$cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14rc3 (Wed Mar 14
07:25:50 2007 UTC)

$lspci
02:09.0 Multimedia controller: Motorola DSP56361 Digital Signal
Processor (rev 0 1)

$cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [DSP ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 at 0xf6100000, irq 3

* Moreover, some of the alsa related packages I've installed are:

packages:
alsa-base 1.0.13-5
alsa-firmware-loaders 1.0.13-1

* Sometimes, this card needs to be the first one (i use a layla24
too, and have desactivated the built-in card of my motherboard),
so the content of my "/etc/modprobe.d/sound" is:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
options snd-hdsp index=0

Hope it can help, Cheers

Marc