Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Daniel James

Default 3.3 alpha1 - a bleeding edge release

Hi all,

In the interests of releasing early and releasing more often, we present
a bleeding-edge 3.3 alpha1 release for your curiosity :-)

The 3.3 series is an Ubuntu Karmic-based stepping-stone between the 3.0
beta series based on Hardy LTS, and the forthcoming 4.0 betas which will
be based on Lucid LTS, later this year. Notable changes from the 3.0
betas include:

Real-time Linux kernel 2.6.31 or 2.6.33
JACK 1.9.5 or later
FFADO 2.0 or later
LXDE in place of GNOME
EXT4 file system by default
GRUB 2 prerelease by default
wicd in place of gnome-network-manager
The return of Debian-style root user accounts!

Iso images (360MB) for CD-R or DVD-R installation are available here:

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/karmic/images/

As this is an alpha release, expect breakage - this version is not for
production use. Here are some of the known bugs you will encounter:

0. The i386 version is made available, but is not yet tested at all.

1. The installer asks a question about setting up jackd for realtime
use. Answer yes here, of course.

2. The installer asks several questions about setting up grub-pc.
Accepting the defaults seems to work.

3. Preseed of cdd-config fails at the end of installation - just hit OK
and the install will complete.

4. gdm is broken, I recommend using Alt-F1 to get a console, logging in
as root and removing gdm for now with:

apt-get remove gdm

You can start X in the old-fashioned way, using startx from the console.

5. Your user account must be added to the audio group in /etc/group
manually, before you start JACK. Otherwise you won't be able to lock
memory or get real-time scheduling.

6. The ALSA sequencer is broken, so MIDI applications will not start.

7. There are no graphics applications installed by default.

I'd be interested to hear your comments, especially on the switch from
GNOME to LXDE. This is by no means a final decision, but I wanted to see
if we could use a lighter desktop and still remain user-friendly.

Have fun!

Daniel

Old 03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Guido Piazzi

Il giorno 19/mar/10, alle ore 12:42, Daniel James ha scritto:

> Hi all,
>
> In the interests of releasing early and releasing more often, we
> present
> a bleeding-edge 3.3 alpha1 release for your curiosity :-)

Great news!

> 0. The i386 version is made available, but is not yet tested at all.

I've just tried to install it on a MacBook 2,1. tasksel fails.

On my second attempt, I managed to set up a barely bootable, totally
unconfigured base system using grub-pc (didn't try grub2).

When I'm less busy, I'm going to test the amd64 version.

> 6. The ALSA sequencer is broken, so MIDI applications will not start.

Does it mean virtual instruments don't work? I mainly use Pianoteq
and Aeolus.
(ok, this belongs to the users mailing list, sorry...)

regards,
Guido

Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Michael Alexander

I'm very glad to see the news of a new alpha. I was beginning to think that 64 Studio had gone the way of its predecessor DeMudi and retired from the world.** Will download and give it a go this week-end.

Have a good one.

Mike aka Sonicfrog.
*
PS.* I for one am a big fan of LXDE and hope it become an integrated option.

PPS.* Any chance we could get some of the cool desktop art from Demudi placed into the 64 Studio libraries?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM
tim hall

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the interests of releasing early and releasing more often, we present
> a bleeding-edge 3.3 alpha1 release for your curiosity :-)
>
> LXDE in place of GNOME

Resistant to change as I am, I looked at this and thought 'oh no, not
another desktop change - I've only just got used to GNOME'. Then I
looked at the spec. This is very similar to what I ended up running
before changing to GNOME so I could write the user docs for the desktop
everyone else was using. This is like coming home. I think it's a great
choice. It could do with a 64 Studio style makeover and continued use of
it will depend on how co-operative the LXDE devs are to fixing bugs (or
particularly ones that bother us). Even with a heavy gtk2 theme, it's
much faster than GNOME on this machine. We should certainly work with it
as a primary desktop choice.

cheers,

tim

Old 03-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Daniel James

Hi Guido,

> On my second attempt, I managed to set up a barely bootable, totally
> unconfigured base system using grub-pc (didn't try grub2).

In this alpha, grub-pc is version 1.9.7~beta4 which is a grub2 pre-release:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/grub-pc

>> 6. The ALSA sequencer is broken, so MIDI applications will not start.
>
> Does it mean virtual instruments don't work? I mainly use Pianoteq
> and Aeolus.

Not out out of the box in this alpha, which is why I mentioned that. Of
course we'll get that fixed for the next alpha.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Daniel James

Hi Mike,

> I for one am a big fan of LXDE and hope it become an integrated option.

Thanks for the feedback, that's good to know.

> Any chance we could get some of the cool desktop art from Demudi
> placed into the 64 Studio libraries?

I recall those photos were taken by Emiliano Grilli, aka emillo. They
should be around somewhere :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Daniel James

Hi Tim,

> It could do with a 64 Studio style makeover and continued use of
> it will depend on how co-operative the LXDE devs are to fixing bugs (or
> particularly ones that bother us). Even with a heavy gtk2 theme, it's
> much faster than GNOME on this machine.

I'm concious that there are a lot of older PCs still around which
struggle to run Windows XP once they are bogged down with all that
anti-virus stuff.

Even faster machines can suffer from software bloat, and I'm thinking we
should keep things old-school UNIX in the interests of the best possible
performance. That would leave Ubuntu Studio to go down the eye-candy
route with the latest GNOME, compiz, etc etc.

Cheers!

Daniel