Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Frank Smith

Default Ardour losing files

HI AllNot sure what is happening here.I have a very large ardour setup on this song, over 25 tracks I seem to be losing tracks.Here is the error:
[WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-5.wav): while searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles[WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-22.wav): while searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles[WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (bass2-13.wav): while searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles[WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-5.wav): while searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles[WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-22.wav): while searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles[WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence

Doing a search reveals no files found.Thing is I have done nothing to move these files I'm aware of in the last few weeks.

They were there last time I did a master copy last week.
Very strange!
CheersBob

Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> Not sure what is happening here.
> I have a very large ardour setup on this song, over 25 tracks I seem to
> be losing tracks.
> Here is the error:
>
> [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
> [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-5.wav): while
> searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles

Are you out of disc space? If not, have you done a file system check on
your /home partition? This is very unusual, let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI All
> Not sure what is happening here.
> I have a very large ardour setup on this song, over 25 tracks I seem
> to be losing tracks.
> Here is the error:
>
> [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
> [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-5.wav): while
> searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles
> [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
> [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-22.wav): while
> searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles
> [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
> [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (bass2-13.wav): while
> searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles
> [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
> [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-5.wav): while
> searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles
> [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
> [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (slide-22.wav): while
> searching /home/studio/st-dreams/interchange/st_dreams/audiofiles
> [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence

> Doing a search reveals no files found.
> Thing is I have done nothing to move these files I'm aware of in the
> last few weeks.
>
> They were there last time I did a master copy last week.
>
> Very strange!
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Are you missing them when listening to the song? If not, some software
does behave like this for unused recordings, when the user managed
something bad. Can't help, because I don't use Ardour, but this is an
issue for many recording applications. Unused takes that were removed
from the pool could cause warnings. Or were the takes part of your song,
not only of the pool?

--
Auto-Tune don't kills music, it's bad usage does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.O.A._(Death_of_Auto-Tune)#Writing_and_inspiration

Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> Is there a way of ensuring when I back up the files that I back up all
> the audio into the same folder?

When you import a file into an Ardour session, there is a checkbox
option for copying that file to the current session directory. There's
no reason not to check that, unless you are very short on disk space. It
saves a lot of trouble later :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Jimmy

Greetz
* While Ardour us fairly new it has a strong community already.* Nor only are there many users posting and replying in forums and IRC channelsm but one can actually talk with the developer.... yes, one man not a committee.* Start here

http://ardour.org/forums

and here

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/182717-anyone-use-ardour.html

Best Wishes
Jimmy

Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Ichthyostega

Ralf Mardorf schrieb:
> Are you missing them when listening to the song? If not, some software
> does behave like this for unused recordings, when the user managed
> something bad.
Not so Ardour.
You have to invoke the "cleanup" function explicitly and confirm the list of
files to be moved into the trashbin directory. Then you have to invoke the
"empty trashbin". Ardour really shines in this respect (and not only in this)!

Hermann

Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Frank Smith

HI AllThinking back I think I was*using*the SSD drive for Ardour and another larger drive for the*files*( wav)Over time I think I cleaned up(!) the larger drive thus removing the later wav files being read by Ardour.

I re-recorded the small missing parts and all is well!! I'll keep all working parts on the SSD untill the end of the process.
Thanks all for*the*help.

CheersBob