-   64 Studio Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/)
-   -   Small install brick-wall (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/286914-small-install-brick-wall.html)

tim hall 11-27-2009 09:19 AM

Small install brick-wall

Hi all,

A musician friend presented me with a laptop yesterday (Compaq Armada) which was
running Debris linux(, which looks like YA Ubuntu remix). I wanted to
install 64studio on it, bit it only has a CD drive and no obvious means
of booting from a USB stick. I can't believe the amount of difficulty
I'm having trying to install anything else on it. I just want to load
the laptop up with some useful multimedia apps.

For the time being I've installed Debian Lenny + some extras from
debian-multimedia.org, but from experience, I know that this set-up is sub-optimal
for even basic music-making activities, such as playing CDs & mp3s without
additional tweaking, whereas 64studio works ootb.

This is inspiring me to look into the possibility of creating a 64studio
net-installer when I have a bit more time. That would be ideal. Judging by Daniel's
recent activity, it seems like now might be a good time to start studying PDK.

???

cheers,

tim

Ralf Mardorf 11-27-2009 09:48 AM

Small install brick-wall

tim hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A musician friend presented me with a laptop yesterday (Compaq Armada) which was
> running Debris linux(, which looks like YA Ubuntu remix). I wanted to
> install 64studio on it, bit it only has a CD drive and no obvious means
> of booting from a USB stick. I can't believe the amount of difficulty
> I'm having trying to install anything else on it. I just want to load
> the laptop up with some useful multimedia apps.
>
> For the time being I've installed Debian Lenny + some extras from
> debian-multimedia.org, but from experience, I know that this set-up is sub-optimal
> for even basic music-making activities, such as playing CDs & mp3s without
> additional tweaking, whereas 64studio works ootb.
>
> This is inspiring me to look into the possibility of creating a 64studio
> net-installer when I have a bit more time. That would be ideal. Judging by Daniel's
> recent activity, it seems like now might be a good time to start studying PDK.
>
> ???
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

Hi Tim :)

maybe installing Ubuntu Hardy from CD and then adding the 64 Studio
3.0-beta3 repository could solve this issue.

Cheers,
Ralf

http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/

root@64studio:/etc/apt# cat sources.list | grep apt.64studio
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports hardy-backports main

Ralf Mardorf 11-27-2009 09:48 AM

Small install brick-wall

Daniel James 11-27-2009 10:22 AM

Small install brick-wall

Hi Tim,

> I wanted to
> install 64studio on it, bit it only has a CD drive and no obvious means
> of booting from a USB stick.

Ah, so the problem is that it can't boot from a DVD-R? I'm aiming that
3.0/4.0 will be under a 700MB .iso so that legacy machines are supported
by CD-R install. For comparison, Ubuntu Studio is more than 1.5GB so I
guess they aren't targeting pre-DVD machines at all.

> This is inspiring me to look into the possibility of creating a 64studio
> net-installer when I have a bit more time.

I figure if you don't have a DVD drive or a machine new enough to boot
from USB then you may not have broadband either, so a net install may be
very slow.

> Judging by Daniel's
> recent activity, it seems like now might be a good time to start studying PDK.

I'd highly recommend that, it's an excellent tool. As Free pointed out
recently, PDK means people can use our components to prepare their own
.iso with the packages and pre-seed they require, which is potentially
another good way we can differentiate ourselves from Ubuntu Studio and
other ready-made multimedia distro projects. I still think we should
provide an 'example' .iso for people who aren't ready to learn PDK and
just want the typical, recommended choices.

Cheers!

Daniel

Daniel James 11-27-2009 10:22 AM

Small install brick-wall

Hi Tim,

Ralf Mardorf 11-27-2009 10:47 AM

Small install brick-wall

Daniel James wrote:
> I'd highly recommend that, it's an excellent tool. As Free pointed out
> recently, PDK means people can use our components to prepare their own
> .iso with the packages and pre-seed they require, which is potentially
> another good way we can differentiate ourselves from Ubuntu Studio and
> other ready-made multimedia distro projects. I still think we should
> provide an 'example' .iso for people who aren't ready to learn PDK and
> just want the typical, recommended choices.

AV Linux supports making your own ISO too.

Ralf Mardorf 11-27-2009 10:47 AM

Small install brick-wall

tim hall 11-27-2009 01:50 PM

Small install brick-wall

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 11:48 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> maybe installing Ubuntu Hardy from CD and then adding the 64 Studio
> 3.0-beta3 repository could solve this issue.

I tried that.
The hardy installer uses a graphic interface as does mint.
Ugh! Couldn't figure how to get round it, so I've installed
Debian instead, for now. It's a very low powered laptop, so it won't
need realtime capabilities anyway.

cheers,

tim

tim hall 11-27-2009 01:59 PM

Small install brick-wall

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 11:22 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> > I wanted to
> > install 64studio on it, bit it only has a CD drive and no obvious means
> > of booting from a USB stick.
>
> Ah, so the problem is that it can't boot from a DVD-R? I'm aiming that
> 3.0/4.0 will be under a 700MB .iso so that legacy machines are supported
> by CD-R install. For comparison, Ubuntu Studio is more than 1.5GB so I
> guess they aren't targeting pre-DVD machines at all.

Yup, a <700MB .iso would do the job. :-)
I understand the logic, pre-DVD machines probably aren't going to be
that great for audio production. The thing is that 64studio also works
well as a Desktop distro for users whose primary interest is listening
to music or watching video and likes to dabble with creative ideas.

> > This is inspiring me to look into the possibility of creating a 64studio
> > net-installer when I have a bit more time.
>
> I figure if you don't have a DVD drive or a machine new enough to boot
> from USB then you may not have broadband either, so a net install may be
> very slow.

Well, a single CD install would be wonderful. In my case I have
broadband and a friend's old computer.

> > Judging by Daniel's
> > recent activity, it seems like now might be a good time to start studying PDK.
>
> I'd highly recommend that, it's an excellent tool. As Free pointed out
> recently, PDK means people can use our components to prepare their own
> .iso with the packages and pre-seed they require, which is potentially
> another good way we can differentiate ourselves from Ubuntu Studio and
> other ready-made multimedia distro projects. I still think we should
> provide an 'example' .iso for people who aren't ready to learn PDK and
> just want the typical, recommended choices.

Absolutely.

cheers,

tim