Old 11-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Daniel James

Default Small install brick-wall

Hi Tim,

> I understand the logic, pre-DVD machines probably aren't going to be
> that great for audio production.

That depends on the context, and in particular whether real-time effects
are required (Ardour or JAMin don't make sense otherwise).

I have used machines ranging from 233MHz PII to 1GHz Celeron in a
primary school, for music education. The 233MHz box ran Seq24 no problem
once GNOME was replaced with Fluxbox. The 450MHz PII ran Audacity,
Hydrogen, amSynth, ALSAModularSynth and ZynAddSubFX on GNOME - no problem.

> The thing is that 64studio also works
> well as a Desktop distro for users whose primary interest is listening
> to music or watching video and likes to dabble with creative ideas.

Yes indeed, although Firefox seems increasingly memory hungry. 1GB RAM
isn't enough to prevent swapping to disk any more, which seems a bit
ridiculous for browsing the web. I blame Flash; the Adobe plugin seems
to be the main culprit. It can cause big CPU spikes too, I've noticed.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Daniel James wrote:
> Yes indeed, although Firefox seems increasingly memory hungry.

IMHO Firefox has become a PITA, even on modern machines. On 64 Studio I
still tend to use Firefox most of the times, but I'm using 2 profiles,
e.g. because of the plug-in issue. On Suse I'm now using Epiphany most
of the times. Unfortunately latest Opera seems to be buggy and I'm not a
fan of Konqueror web-browser, but Konqueror isn't bad. I guess Epiphany
will be a good choice as default for the future, even if no browser
seems to be able to replace Firefox completely.

By the way, I still prefer Thunderbird, but latest Evolution is really
near to the quality of Thunderbird or maybe it has reached the quality
of Thunderbird. I didn't test PGP and Junk-Filters with latest
Evolution, but anything else seems to be as good as it is for Thunderbird.

Perhaps we are used to the Mozillas and missed that other browsers and
mailers caught up.

Cheers,
Ralf