-   64 Studio Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/)
-   -   tsc problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/27897-tsc-problem.html)

"mike@sonicfrog.net" 01-03-2008 04:44 PM

tsc problem

Hey All:

Happy New Year!!!

Has anyone else had the following problem ?

/clocksource tsc unstable/

My P4 laptop, loading 64 Studio 2.6.22, freezes up at that point. I have
had the problem on and off before, but since I reinstalled 64 Studio
(bricked the prev install on an upgrade - not a bug, totally my fault)
and installed the bcm43xx driver, I have had this problem. I can get
around it by unplugging the ethernet connection. Any thoughts?

PS. God I must be getting old. Which log should I copy to show the error
info?

Daniel James 01-11-2008 10:16 AM

tsc problem

Hi Mike,

> Has anyone else had the following problem ?
>
> /clocksource tsc unstable/

Yes, I've seen that on a couple of machines. See:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8306

> My P4 laptop, loading 64 Studio 2.6.22, freezes up at that point.

That could be a coincidence.

> I have
> had the problem on and off before, but since I reinstalled 64 Studio
> (bricked the prev install on an upgrade - not a bug, totally my fault)
> and installed the bcm43xx driver, I have had this problem. I can get
> around it by unplugging the ethernet connection.

I've always found bcm43xx to be flaky. Fortunately, there is a new
driver coming in kernel 2.6.24, I believe:

http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Cheers!

Daniel

"mike@sonicfrog.net" 01-12-2008 06:07 AM

tsc problem

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
>> Has anyone else had the following problem ?
>>
>> /clocksource tsc unstable/
>
> Yes, I've seen that on a couple of machines. See:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/8306
>
>> My P4 laptop, loading 64 Studio 2.6.22, freezes up at that point.
>
> That could be a coincidence.
>
>> I have had the problem on and off before, but since I reinstalled 64
>> Studio (bricked the prev install on an upgrade - not a bug, totally
>> my fault) and installed the bcm43xx driver, I have had this problem.
>> I can get around it by unplugging the ethernet connection.
>
> I've always found bcm43xx to be flaky. Fortunately, there is a new
> driver coming in kernel 2.6.24, I believe:
>
> http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

I uninstalled the bcm43xx package, and all is well with the world.