Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 PM
6c62

Default GNU Solfege 3.9.3: _solfege_c_midi_so error (incl. workaround)

Dear 64studio developers,

when starting GNU Solfege on my 64Studio 3.0 beta system, I receive the
following error:

"/usr/lib/solfege/_solfege_c_midi.so: undefined symbol: awe_set_channel_mode

You should configure sound from the preferences window, and try to use
an external midi player. Or try to recompile the program and check for
error messages to see why the module is not built."

This error message is presented at the program start, as well as when
trying to save modified "audio setup" preferences.

The error is related to [1]. Daniel Bermon's comment to the bug
discussion [2] shows a workaround for the issue that worked for me, too.

The latest bug comments suggest that an updated solfege version was to
be included into Ubuntu Hardy, however, in my installation the package
version is still "3.9.3-4." It may be a good idea for the developers to
- either include a newer solfege version
- or alter the default settings of the installed package.

The latter option appears to be the less time-consuming option (for my
inexperienced mind): In the file /usr/share/solfege/default.config,
section [sound], replace "type=sequencer-device" with
"type=external-midiplayer."

Hope, my few cents are of help. Best regards,
Lutz

Links:
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/solfege/+bug/206093
[2]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/solfege/+bug/206093/comments/4

Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Daniel James

Hi Lutz,

> when starting GNU Solfege on my 64Studio 3.0 beta system, I receive the
> following error:
>
> "/usr/lib/solfege/_solfege_c_midi.so: undefined symbol: awe_set_channel_mode

Thanks for the report - I had noticed that too. I'm not sure if Solfege
will make it into 3.0 final, as it drags in the Timidity package too,
which has its own share of problems.

Cheers!

Daniel