Old 11-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default snd-hrtimer

Hi

I'm subscribed to 64 Studio devel list, but only receive emails from the
users list, please send replies Cc to me if you reply from the
developers list.

Someone on LAD asked what timer preferred to use for sequencing. Because
of this happy coincidence I found out, that for the default 64 Studio
3.0-beta3 kernel the module snd-hrtimer isn't loaded and in addition
that there isn't such a module.

Okay, because of ...

$ cat /boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 | grep HRTIMER
# CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER is not set

... this is useless ...

$ sudo -i
# chgrp audio /dev/hpet
# echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
# modprobe snd-hrtimer
FATAL: Module snd_hrtimer not found.

... .

Maybe you like to read the thread on LAD:

* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025427.html>
/Emanuel Rumpf /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025428.html>
/Ralf Mardorf /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025429.html>
/James Warden /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025430.html>
/James Warden /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025432.html>
/Ralf Mardorf /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025433.html>
/Ralf Mardorf /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025434.html>
/James Warden /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025435.html>
/Ralf Mardorf /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025436.html>
/Ray Rashif /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025437.html>
/James Warden /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025438.html>
/James Warden /
* [LAD] timers
<http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-November/025439.html>
/Ralf Mardorf /

MIDI jitter for events sent to external MIDI equipment might depend on this.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Robin Gareus

On 11/07/2009 03:21 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi
> [..]
> Someone on LAD asked what timer preferred to use for sequencing. Because
> of this happy coincidence I found out, that for the default 64 Studio
> 3.0-beta3 kernel the module snd-hrtimer isn't loaded and in addition
> that there isn't such a module.
>
> Okay, because of ...
>
> $ cat /boot/config-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64 | grep HRTIMER
> # CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER is not set

Late follow up.. there's currently some discussion on LAU:

quoting
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2010-May/069902.html

Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Robin Gareus