-   64 Studio Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/)
-   -   Laptop for live performance and recording (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/26467-laptop-live-performance-recording.html)

"julien lociuro" 01-01-2008 11:08 PM

Laptop for live performance and recording

Hi all,
*
I plan to buy a laptop for audio work. My concern is that I don't really know how to be sure that the laptop will be supported by 64Studio.
*
Ideally I would like to buy*a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Can 64Studio run on these machines? If yes, how well? Would I be able to use an external firewire soundcard properly? I was thinking of the FireWire Edirol FA-66, which is "reported to work" under linux, and is supported under*mac osx.

I see that MacBook has an*Intel GMA X3100 graphic card (with*144 MB SDRAM DDR2) shared (not dedicated) with main memory, while the MacBook Pro has a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, which would*be more supported I think.*

In any case, are there recommended laptops (with firewire port) that are fully tested with 64Studio?
*
I've read somewhere that one of the biggest downsides to Linux on portables, especially Apple portables (assuming the LCD and other peripherals are basically working) is poor support for power management - sometimes dangerously poor. Can anybody tell me if this is still true, and what does this mean?

*
Thanks so much and happy new year!

--
julien