Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Grammostola Rosea

Default Notation Editors

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> - The dev of guitarix uses Debian Sid(ux), he will be willing to build
>> Debian unstable packages or already has some!
>>
>> - klick and gtklick?
>> - rakarrack?
>> - lv2 plugins?
>> - musescore (mscore)?
>>

> I looked at the linuxmusicians.com site and found a forum about notation
> editors. I haven't really liked Rosegarden for that, it just takes me
> too long to enter notes with a mouse. I tried Denemo, which allows you
> to use the computer keyboard to enter notes, but also had problems with
> it. MuseScore (mscore) looks interesting and the package is already in
> Lenny and Hardy. I plan on installing it on my laptop, which runs
> Xubuntu (it's an old machine without much memory) and see if it works.
>
> A few things appeal to me about MuseScore - it has a nice online user
> handbook, you can use the computer keyboard to enter notes, etc., you
> can add chord symbols and it supports repeats.
>
> My needs are kind of simple, I just want something to transcribe bass
> lines and I want to be able to do it quicker than by writing in a
> manuscript tablet. I don't care about midi for this purpose, although
> MuseScore does use midi too. I have high hopes, I'll let you know what I
> think. Has anyone here used this package?

I think Musescore is a good wysiwy notation editor. Make sure you get
the latest 0.9.4 I believe...
I also think Musescore is pretty far in its development. Further than
any other wysiwyg editor.

I think there are 3 candidates for a wysiwyg editor:

1) musescore
2) NtEd
3) Canorus

I personally uses Frescobaldi with Lilypond most of the time, but
sometimes NtEd (make sure you have the latest!) I like this one cause
it's very fast, light and true wysiwyg! You have to try it (there is a
Debian package)!
http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml

I have no experience with Canorus, but I think it is to unstable right now.

So I think you should choose for a wysiwyg between mscore or NtEd.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Susan Dridi

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Susan Dridi wrote:
>> Grammostola Rosea wrote:

<snip>

> I think Musescore is a good wysiwy notation editor. Make sure you get
> the latest 0.9.4 I believe...
> I also think Musescore is pretty far in its development. Further than
> any other wysiwyg editor.
>
> I think there are 3 candidates for a wysiwyg editor:
>
> 1) musescore
> 2) NtEd
> 3) Canorus
>
> I personally uses Frescobaldi with Lilypond most of the time, but
> sometimes NtEd (make sure you have the latest!) I like this one cause
> it's very fast, light and true wysiwyg! You have to try it (there is a
> Debian package)!
> http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml
>
> I have no experience with Canorus, but I think it is to unstable right now.
>
> So I think you should choose for a wysiwyg between mscore or NtEd.

Hi Rosea,

Thanks for the pointers! Daniel or Free - any chance of one of these
notation editors getting into the official release?

Thanks!

-Susan

Old 03-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Grammostola Rosea

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>
>> Susan Dridi wrote:
>>
>>> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>>>

> <snip>
>

>> I think Musescore is a good wysiwy notation editor. Make sure you get
>> the latest 0.9.4 I believe...
>> I also think Musescore is pretty far in its development. Further than
>> any other wysiwyg editor.
>>
>> I think there are 3 candidates for a wysiwyg editor:
>>
>> 1) musescore
>> 2) NtEd
>> 3) Canorus
>>
>> I personally uses Frescobaldi with Lilypond most of the time, but
>> sometimes NtEd (make sure you have the latest!) I like this one cause
>> it's very fast, light and true wysiwyg! You have to try it (there is a
>> Debian package)!
>> http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml
>>
>> I have no experience with Canorus, but I think it is to unstable right now.
>>
>> So I think you should choose for a wysiwyg between mscore or NtEd.
>>

> Hi Rosea,
>
> Thanks for the pointers! Daniel or Free - any chance of one of these
> notation editors getting into the official release?

I've heard that the developer of Nted hasn't much time for development
in the next half year....
So maybe it's good for 64studio to include mscore in the default
packagelist and NtEd in the repo.