Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Susan Dridi

Default Notation Editors

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

<snip>

> - The dev of guitarix uses Debian Sid(ux), he will be willing to build
> Debian unstable packages or already has some!
>
> - klick and gtklick?
> - rakarrack?
> - lv2 plugins?
> - musescore (mscore)?

I looked at the linuxmusicians.com site and found a forum about notation
editors. I haven't really liked Rosegarden for that, it just takes me
too long to enter notes with a mouse. I tried Denemo, which allows you
to use the computer keyboard to enter notes, but also had problems with
it. MuseScore (mscore) looks interesting and the package is already in
Lenny and Hardy. I plan on installing it on my laptop, which runs
Xubuntu (it's an old machine without much memory) and see if it works.

A few things appeal to me about MuseScore - it has a nice online user
handbook, you can use the computer keyboard to enter notes, etc., you
can add chord symbols and it supports repeats.

My needs are kind of simple, I just want something to transcribe bass
lines and I want to be able to do it quicker than by writing in a
manuscript tablet. I don't care about midi for this purpose, although
MuseScore does use midi too. I have high hopes, I'll let you know what I
think. Has anyone here used this package?

Cheers!

-Susan