-   64 Studio Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/)
-   -   3.0 beta... a bit disappointing (getting more optimistic ; ) ) (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/258238-3-0-beta-bit-disappointing-getting-more-optimistic.html)

Jaromír Mikeš 03-06-2009 02:37 PM

3.0 beta... a bit disappointing (getting more optimistic ; ) )

< Hi,
<
< Just started the first steps of the journey last week,
<
< http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia
<
< I have subscribed to:
<
< http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-multimedia-maintainers
<
< Have printed out the pdf of this:
<
< http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
<
< Looking at qmidiarp:
<
< http://trac.64studio.com/64studio/ticket/160
<
< http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=69130&package_id=127670
<
< There are no help files included in the archive tarball
< so I've mailed the upstream author(s) this morning
< and am waiting on a reply.
< I'm sure there are others with experience of this
< who could guide, and help improve the package choice.
< If a few users chose a package each, the list would soon grow.
< The pkg-multimedia-maintainers mail looks complex but
< I plan to take it one step at a time.
<

Hi Dave,

I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
To be newbe in this just going to study your links ;)

I also like Daniel's idea ...700MB install CD and repo full of good packages ;)

Cheers

mira

Grammostola Rosea 03-06-2009 02:38 PM

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
> < Hi,
> <
> < Just started the first steps of the journey last week,
> <
> < http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia
> <
> < I have subscribed to:
> <
> < http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-multimedia-maintainers
> <
> < Have printed out the pdf of this:
> <
> < http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
> <
> < Looking at qmidiarp:
> <
> < http://trac.64studio.com/64studio/ticket/160
> <
> < http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=69130&package_id=127670
> <
> < There are no help files included in the archive tarball
> < so I've mailed the upstream author(s) this morning
> < and am waiting on a reply.
> < I'm sure there are others with experience of this
> < who could guide, and help improve the package choice.
> < If a few users chose a package each, the list would soon grow.
> < The pkg-multimedia-maintainers mail looks complex but
> < I plan to take it one step at a time.
> <
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
> To be newbe in this just going to study your links ;)
>
> I also like Daniel's idea ...700MB install CD and repo full of good packages ;)

+ 1

Devin 03-06-2009 05:48 PM

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
> --snip--

Hi,

I've been lurking here for the past couple months.

64 Studio is a wonderful product. I would like to help maintain packages for
64 Studio. I have some experience with creating .deb packages and writing code.

One application I would like to see added to 64 Studio and would be happy to
help maintain is the Non sequencer. The Non sequencer is a pattern-based
sequencer that uses JACK MIDI ports instead of ALSA MIDI ports. You can find
more information on the Non sequencer here:

http://non-sequencer.tuxfamily.org/

Let me know if I can help.

--
Devin
devin@charityfinders.com

Gustin Johnson 03-06-2009 11:29 PM

3.0 beta... a bit disappointing (getting more optimistic ; ) )

dave 03-07-2009 09:17 AM

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
>
>> < Hi,
>> <
>> < Just started the first steps of the journey last week,
>> <
>> < http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia
>> <
>> < I have subscribed to:
>> <
>> < http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-multimedia-maintainers
>> <
>> < Have printed out the pdf of this:
>> <
>> < http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
>> <
>> < Looking at qmidiarp:
>> <
>> < http://trac.64studio.com/64studio/ticket/160
>> <
>> < http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=69130&package_id=127670
>> <
>> < There are no help files included in the archive tarball
>> < so I've mailed the upstream author(s) this morning
>> < and am waiting on a reply.
>> < I'm sure there are others with experience of this
>> < who could guide, and help improve the package choice.
>> < If a few users chose a package each, the list would soon grow.
>> < The pkg-multimedia-maintainers mail looks complex but
>> < I plan to take it one step at a time.
>> <
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
>> To be newbe in this just going to study your links ;)
>>
>> I also like Daniel's idea ...700MB install CD and repo full of good packages ;)
>>

> + 1

It's great to see the response to learning package maintaining
being taken up by so many of our users, I'm new to the process
myself, but it certainly makes the learning curve smaller to know
others are just starting also.
I subscribed to the pkg-multimedia-maintainers list and follow
what goes on, it's all very interesting.

Cheers!
dave.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

dave 03-07-2009 09:17 AM

dave 03-07-2009 09:20 AM

Devin wrote:
> Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
>

>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
>> --snip--
>>

> Hi,
>
> I've been lurking here for the past couple months.
>
> 64 Studio is a wonderful product. I would like to help maintain packages for
> 64 Studio. I have some experience with creating .deb packages and writing code.
>
> One application I would like to see added to 64 Studio and would be happy to
> help maintain is the Non sequencer. The Non sequencer is a pattern-based
> sequencer that uses JACK MIDI ports instead of ALSA MIDI ports. You can find
> more information on the Non sequencer here:
>
> http://non-sequencer.tuxfamily.org/
>
> Let me know if I can help.

Hi Devin,

It looks like you could be a great help to those of us
just starting to learn.
If you keep us informed of your progress with the Non sequencer
it will certainly be a helpful guide to users who are just starting
to learn.

Cheers!
dave.

Grammostola Rosea 03-07-2009 09:21 AM

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Devin wrote:
>
>> Jarom�r Mike� wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
>>> --snip--
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been lurking here for the past couple months.
>>
>> 64 Studio is a wonderful product. I would like to help maintain packages for
>> 64 Studio. I have some experience with creating .deb packages and writing code.
>>
>> One application I would like to see added to 64 Studio and would be happy to
>> help maintain is the Non sequencer. The Non sequencer is a pattern-based
>> sequencer that uses JACK MIDI ports instead of ALSA MIDI ports. You can find
>> more information on the Non sequencer here:
>>
>> http://non-sequencer.tuxfamily.org/
>>
>> Let me know if I can help.
>>

> Another good place to start is here:
> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
>
> There are lots of links there to help one get started with Ubuntu
> packaging. I just set up my own repository though most of the stuff I
> will be building is of little interest here.

I think in general you do a must better job for the Linux A/V community
if you build packages for Debian unstable.

1) more distro's and people could benefit from it, not only Ubuntu,
64studio, etc., but also Debian, Sidux, Mepis etc.

2) It helps to build up a broad community of Linux A/V users and it will
be more easy to 'newbies' to step in.

So the best thing you could do IMHO is joining the Debian Multimedia Team!

Kind regards,

Grammostola Rosea 03-07-2009 09:21 AM

Grammostola Rosea 03-07-2009 10:30 AM

dave wrote:
> Devin wrote:
>
>> Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
>>> --snip--
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been lurking here for the past couple months.
>>
>> 64 Studio is a wonderful product. I would like to help maintain packages for
>> 64 Studio. I have some experience with creating .deb packages and writing code.
>>
>> One application I would like to see added to 64 Studio and would be happy to
>> help maintain is the Non sequencer. The Non sequencer is a pattern-based
>> sequencer that uses JACK MIDI ports instead of ALSA MIDI ports. You can find
>> more information on the Non sequencer here:
>>
>> http://non-sequencer.tuxfamily.org/
>>
>> Let me know if I can help.
>>

> Hi Devin,
>
> It looks like you could be a great help to those of us
> just starting to learn.
> If you keep us informed of your progress with the Non sequencer
> it will certainly be a helpful guide to users who are just starting
> to learn.
>
> Cheers!
> dave.

To include and build packages, the dev team could also ask the makers of
the packages which you like to include in the 64studio repo, to build
packages for Debian unstable themselves and/or make an own Debian repo.

Besides that, there are maybe some good Debian repo's already:

- lv2 stuff and dssi-vst and more
http://apt.klaumikli.de/

-NtEd
deb http://pini.free.fr/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://pini.free.fr/debian/ unstable main

-lilypond, frescobaldi (ubuntu):
https://launchpad.net/~frescobaldi/+archive/ppa

- calf plugins (ubuntu)
https://launchpad.net/~stochastic/+archive/ppa

- The dev of guitarix uses Debian Sid(ux), he will be willing to build
Debian unstable packages or already has some!

- klick and gtklick?
- rakarrack?
- lv2 plugins?
- musescore (mscore)?