Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Grammostola Rosea

Default 3.0 beta... a bit disappointing (getting more optimistic ; ) )

dave wrote:
> Devin wrote:
>
>> Jarom√*r MikeŇ° wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> I like a lot this idea with maintaining packages by community and I would like to join this efforts too.
>>> --snip--
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been lurking here for the past couple months.
>>
>> 64 Studio is a wonderful product. I would like to help maintain packages for
>> 64 Studio. I have some experience with creating .deb packages and writing code.
>>
>> One application I would like to see added to 64 Studio and would be happy to
>> help maintain is the Non sequencer. The Non sequencer is a pattern-based
>> sequencer that uses JACK MIDI ports instead of ALSA MIDI ports. You can find
>> more information on the Non sequencer here:
>>
>> http://non-sequencer.tuxfamily.org/
>>
>> Let me know if I can help.
>>

> Hi Devin,
>
> It looks like you could be a great help to those of us
> just starting to learn.
> If you keep us informed of your progress with the Non sequencer
> it will certainly be a helpful guide to users who are just starting
> to learn.
>
> Cheers!
> dave.

To include and build packages, the dev team could also ask the makers of
the packages which you like to include in the 64studio repo, to build
packages for Debian unstable themselves and/or make an own Debian repo.

Besides that, there are maybe some good Debian repo's already:

- lv2 stuff and dssi-vst and more
http://apt.klaumikli.de/

-NtEd
deb http://pini.free.fr/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://pini.free.fr/debian/ unstable main

-lilypond, frescobaldi (ubuntu):
https://launchpad.net/~frescobaldi/+archive/ppa

- calf plugins (ubuntu)
https://launchpad.net/~stochastic/+archive/ppa

- The dev of guitarix uses Debian Sid(ux), he will be willing to build
Debian unstable packages or already has some!

- klick and gtklick?
- rakarrack?
- lv2 plugins?
- musescore (mscore)?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Grammostola Rosea

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>> There are lots of links there to help one get started with Ubuntu
>>> packaging. I just set up my own repository though most of the stuff I
>>> will be building is of little interest here.
>>>

>> I think in general you do a must better job for the Linux A/V community
>> if you build packages for Debian unstable.
>>

> Most of the stuff I maintain locally is not of interest here. It is not
> A/V related.
>

>> 1) more distro's and people could benefit from it, not only Ubuntu,
>> 64studio, etc., but also Debian, Sidux, Mepis etc.
>>
>> 2) It helps to build up a broad community of Linux A/V users and it will
>> be more easy to 'newbies' to step in.
>>
>> So the best thing you could do IMHO is joining the Debian Multimedia Team!
>>

> Again most of my packages are not AV related so this is kind of
> pointless. The only one that would be useful are the kernels I build,
> and those are distribution dependant anyway (due to the gcc version
> being important).

If I am right I just gave some arguments *in general *why it is better
to maintain packages for the Debian multimedia team, then having your
own packages or only building for Ubuntu. It was not personal and I did
not want to say that you're doing a bad job or something

Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Grammostola Rosea

Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Gustin Johnson