Old 03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Quentin Harley

Default Timidity++ Midi jitter + Delay

I just did a test on my 3.0 system, and got some interesting results.

My test midi file is a full midi version of the Rachmaninov 3rd piano
concerto... Lots and lots of notes, and lots at once as well!

First loaded the file into rosegarden. On playback I heard the
incredible distracting jitter when using TiMidity as playback engine,
not surprisingly most noticeable on the piano part. To see if I can
help it along I loaded the free .gig piano sample bank from the
linuxsampler site (Great sample by the way) and I heard something even
more disturbing. TiMidity playback still jitters, and is delayed by
about 250 to 300ms compared to the faultless playback from the piano via
linuxsampler.

This to me looks like a timidity problem...

Anyone else notice this? I know Ralf Mardorf had a similar issue some
time ago... possibly also with TiMidity++

Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Daniel James

Hi Quentin,

> TiMidity playback still jitters, and is delayed by
> about 250 to 300ms compared to the faultless playback from the piano via
> linuxsampler.

I think this is a generic problem with Timidity out-of-the-box, there is
a possible solution detailed here:

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Using_MIDI#Using_Timidity_as_fake_ ALSA_MIDI_ports

If this works for you, we could file a bug against the Debian package to
fix the init scripts.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Quentin Harley

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Quentin,
>

>> TiMidity playback still jitters, and is delayed by
>> about 250 to 300ms compared to the faultless playback from the piano via
>> linuxsampler.
>>

> I think this is a generic problem with Timidity out-of-the-box, there is
> a possible solution detailed here:
>
> http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Using_MIDI#Using_Timidity_as_fake_ ALSA_MIDI_ports

It opens the ports on startup, but the latency does not improve.
Neither does the jitter...

Found this, and I'll investigate tonight
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio/+bug/277807

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Daniel James

Hi Quentin,

> It opens the ports on startup, but the latency does not improve.
> Neither does the jitter...

Did you try rebooting with Timidity in the startup scripts though?
According to the SuSE wiki that makes the difference.

> Found this, and I'll investigate tonight
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio/+bug/277807

Thanks, that'll be helpful.

The only reason we have timidity in the 3.0 betas is for solfege output,
which it seems to be OK with. I'm not sure I would use a soundfont for
serious MIDI work, since we have qsampler and linuxsampler.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Quentin Harley

Daniel James wrote:
> I think this is a generic problem with Timidity out-of-the-box, there
> is a possible solution detailed here:
>
> http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Using_MIDI#Using_Timidity_as_fake_ ALSA_MIDI_ports
>

> If this works for you, we could file a bug against the Debian package
> to fix the init scripts.

This fix actually breaks solfege...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Daniel James

Hi Quentin,

>> I think this is a generic problem with Timidity out-of-the-box, there
>> is a possible solution detailed here:
>>
>> http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Using_MIDI#Using_Timidity_as_fake_ ALSA_MIDI_ports
>>
>> If this works for you, we could file a bug against the Debian package
>> to fix the init scripts.
>
> This fix actually breaks solfege...

Turns out Solfege has no native ALSA support, see:

http://www.solfege.org/Solfege/SoundSetup#toc2

However there is a workaround to get Solfege to play linuxsampler, seems
a bit hacky just to play a few notes though:

http://www.solfege.org/Solfege/SoundSetup#toc13

Cheers!

Daniel