Old 03-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Quentin Harley

Default DV capture problems

2.6.29 does not have the raw1394 kernel module loaded...

Went back to 2.6.26

Kino still did not pick up the camera, so after looking on the web I
found that I had to change the permisions of the DV device to 777 to get
it going.

This is unfortunately not an option on 2.6.29 as the /dev/raw1394 is not
even there.

Just one more item for the 3.0 to-do list. At least I can use 2.6.26 to
get DV going.

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Susan Dridi

Quentin Harley wrote:
> 2.6.29 does not have the raw1394 kernel module loaded...
>
> Went back to 2.6.26
>
> Kino still did not pick up the camera, so after looking on the web I
> found that I had to change the permisions of the DV device to 777 to get
> it going.
>
> This is unfortunately not an option on 2.6.29 as the /dev/raw1394 is not
> even there.
>
> Just one more item for the 3.0 to-do list. At least I can use 2.6.26 to
> get DV going.
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin

I had to load the raw1394 module with the all of the versions of 64
Studio I've used so far, since I have a firewire sound card:

From the instructions at:

http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/FreeBoB_on_Debian_GNU/Linux

(Using the 64 Studio kernel)

# modprobe raw1394

(I had to install modconf)

# apt-get install modconf
# modconf

Without the raw1394 kernel module, I just won't have sound, which
defeats the whole purpose!

It would be great if all of this were just built in.

Meanwhile, I haven't installed the beta version yet, based on reports
like this about firewire and freebob or ffado not working.

Take care,

-Susan

Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Susan Dridi

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Susan Dridi wrote:
> <snip>
>> It would be great if all of this were just built in.
>>
> Since you were able to modprobe the module, it is built in.

I beg to differ. Sound did not work "out of the box" for my sound card.
I had to figure out how to fix it. I think that sound should "just work"
for a music distro. Just my opinion.

> You can
> have this done for you automatically with /etc/modules or
> /etc/modprobe.d

Unfortunately, I'm not a systems programmer, not all that familiar with
unices and wonder if others who just want to make some music and not
tinker with their computers would know how to do that.

> Having said that there are good reasons why the default
> is the way it is.

Perhaps, but there should be some kind of question when the system is
being installed about whether you have any firewire devices, and then
let the installer add the appropriate modules and packages.

> For Quentin I thnk the problem is that the module does not exist. I
> don't really follow ieee1394 that closely (I avoid it actually) but I
> think that the whole firewire stack is undergoing a rewrite.
>
>> Meanwhile, I haven't installed the beta version yet, based on reports
>> like this about firewire and freebob or ffado not working.
>
> The beta is just that, a beta. For some of us it works well, but there
> is a lot of work still to do. The 2.6.29 kernel is not officially
> stable yet either.

Right, I understand that and the only reason I wrote is that I think
this problem could be a deal breaker for users with firewire sound
cards. I keep the testing sources in apt, and would be glad to report on
a beta installation from the point of view of a regular user who is
handy with Google but not a systems girl. Once firewire is working, that
is

Take care,

-Susan

Old 03-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Quentin Harley

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Right, I understand that and the only reason I wrote is that I think
> this problem could be a deal breaker for users with firewire sound
> cards. I keep the testing sources in apt, and would be glad to report on
> a beta installation from the point of view of a regular user who is
> handy with Google but not a systems girl. Once firewire is working, that
> is

Thanks. That is also what a beta is for. Feedback.

I don't know about you, but I would love to install the official release
of 3.0, and all the hardware I own just to work.

At them moment the only hardware I am having trouble with is:
1) Nvidia 3rd party driver (known issue)
2) raw1394 module for 2.6.29
3) Initial setup for video is missing. I have to chmod the /dev/raw1394
to 777 every time I boot at the moment.

Besides that ( and the odd missing package ) things are looking up for
me at least!

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
dave

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Susan Dridi wrote:
>
>> Right, I understand that and the only reason I wrote is that I think
>> this problem could be a deal breaker for users with firewire sound
>> cards. I keep the testing sources in apt, and would be glad to report on
>> a beta installation from the point of view of a regular user who is
>> handy with Google but not a systems girl. Once firewire is working, that
>> is
>>

> Thanks. That is also what a beta is for. Feedback.
>
> I don't know about you, but I would love to install the official release
> of 3.0, and all the hardware I own just to work.
>
> At them moment the only hardware I am having trouble with is:
> 1) Nvidia 3rd party driver (known issue)
> 2) raw1394 module for 2.6.29
> 3) Initial setup for video is missing. I have to chmod the /dev/raw1394
> to 777 every time I boot at the moment.
>
> Besides that ( and the odd missing package ) things are looking up for
> me at least!
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin

Hi Susan,

You say you are not a systems girl.
I have learned a lot from your mails. Also, you "always"
take the time to consider "which" list to post to.
Thanks! :-) It helps a great deal here.

Hi Quentin,

The Beta is showing great promise.
Notes:

4) Availability to pass boot options at install?
5) F-spot & Mono applications?
6) Main Menu > Other menu. Remove or customize.
7) FreeWheeling needs feedback on exit of application.
(post on forum). 64 Studio 3.0 Beta 2 released.
8) Kernel upgrade path is problematic.

I suppose the kernel error can be expected when "all in all"
the bigger picture of the changes to the beta are considered.
Long time support, stable base, and new kernel. :-)
Well worth the effort, time, and investment for future releases.
64studio stable, sounds great to me.

Cheers!
dave.