Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Ross

Default Installer 64studio 3.0 Beta 2 does yield bootable system

Frans van Dunné wrote:
> I've tried to make a clean install using the Beta 2 installer .iso.
>
> The installer runs through all the stages, but does not ask for a
> root password (which I found odd).
Welcome to Ubuntu You can set a root password if you wish once you
have booted the system.

> At the end of the installation process, it recommends to reboot, but
> it cannot boot from the harddisk.
Check the drive settings in grub, sometimes the installer sees the
drives in a different order to how the BIOS and installed system see it.
You may have to change the drive eg from (hd2,4) to (hd0,4) to get your
system to boot.

> One caveat for users installing this next to an older installation:
> if you leave a swap partition in existence on another harddisk, the
> installer will claim that 'linux-rt' cannot be downloaded.

I have two swap partitions on other drives and did not get this problem.

Ross.

Sat Feb 28 23:30:02 2009
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Víctor_A._Trejo_Peña? <victoratrejo@aprisaproyectos.com>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,
not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Ubuntu is messing up with USB pen drive
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:01:35 -0600
Sender: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com

I have been usinng Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) for several days now. Last night,
I started having issues while moving files to a USB pen drive (2Gb). I have
enough RAM and and a fair processor, and had alredy been using the same pen
drive for a day or two without noticing anything wrong.

Now, it takes up to 10 minutes to copy a SINGLE file (about 10 MB).

Has anything failed?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Gustin Johnson

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>> The installer runs through all the stages, but does not ask for a root
>> password (which I found odd).
>
> This is normal because 3.0 is based on Ubuntu and not Debian. Ubuntu's
> security policy is to *not* have a root login... instead doing everything
> through sudo. They claim that having a root login (or using 'su')
> promotes unsafe practices.

Using root and su does promote unsafe practises. As an aside, sudo can
be logged and locked down to specific apps for specific users. Sudo is
simply awesome.

> ...of course, I'm not sure that allowing 'sudo su' is much safer... but
> that would be flame bait, wouldn't it...

There was a recent "discussion" about these issues. The 64Studio
default for sudo not requiring a password appals me but I believe the
consensus was to keep that default going forward. You can prevent sudo
from running su quite easily.

In case Daniel and Free missed it, I think the current default is bad.
No need to discuss it further since my position will not change and I
can always make 64Studio behave in a way that is consistent with my own
policies.

>> At the end of the installation process, it
>> recommends to reboot, but it cannot boot from the harddisk.
>
> Did you make sure that your root partition is marked with the 'bootable'
> flag?

Also, how many hard drives are in this machine? Perhaps the boot order
is messed up in the BIOS or there are two or more bootable devices (I
see this with the odd USB drive)? There are a number of possibilities.
Try to simplify as much as possible.

>> One caveat for users installing this next to an older installation: if you
>> leave a swap partition in existence on another harddisk, the installer
>> will claim that 'linux-rt' cannot be downloaded.
>
> This doesn't make sense. Is the problem that you ran out of memory... or
> that some benign swap partition on another disk blocked your download?
> And why was it trying to download a kernel? The ISO ships with a kernel.

That does seem to be a weird problem.

>> I will try to do a clean install with good old 2.1 and then update to 3
>> from there.
>
> This will probably NOT work. The upgrade path is Debian Etch ->
> Ubuntu Hardy. While it might work... you will likely have stability
> issues.

It worked for me in a test VM. I am still a believer in a clean first
install though, especially for the less experienced users.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Frans van Dunné

Thank you all for your help.

After much trial and error: The problem was with the harddisk setup.

My previous installation was on a IDE harddisk, and I tried to keep that
installation by marking it "do not use" in the partition manager.

However: GRUB cannot deal with this (there are other messages online about
the same problem, related to the priorities that are assigned to hardware
on installation, versus priorities on booting). The only way to make GRUB
install in the proper place turned out to be to unplug the older IDE
harddisk.

I also put the System SATA disk in SATA connection nr. 1 on the
motherboard, but expect that this was a superfluous action.

So after removing the IDE disk, the installation was super smooth! And is
up and running right now.

As for the weird "cannot download linux-rt" message. My experience so far
is that the installer will behave strangely on problems. Seldom is there a
direct relation between the cause of the problem and the message
displayed.

Thanks for explaining the oddities with root passwords in the new
installer. I'll get used to it.

Thanks you all for the help,
Frans.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Daniel James

Hi Gustin,

> The 64Studio
> default for sudo not requiring a password appals me but I believe the
> consensus was to keep that default going forward.

For the single user case (e.g. mobile device) it's not so bad, for the
multi user case (e.g. busy studio DAW) it's really not good. Thanks for
the reminder, I'll open a ticket :-)

Cheers!

Daniel