-   64 Studio Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/)
-   -   noise suppression ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-developer/254248-noise-suppression.html)

02-28-2009 04:57 AM

noise suppression ?

What is the mother board chipset? AMD and nVidia both make turion chipsets. It should be obvious if you run lspci with no flags.

------Original Message------
From: Dave Phillips
To: Gustin Johnson
Cc: 64 Studio development list
Subject: Re: [64studio-users] noise suppression ?
Sent: Feb 27, 2009 19:13

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> There were some ACPI improvements in 8.10 that were not there in 8.04
> that include fan controls. I noticed this on my laptop. I cannot
> remember how I fixed it in hardy since I have been running Intrepid for
> a while now.
>

>> explain why this is happening and/or suggest a fix ? I can live with it,
>> but the noise is aggravating.
>>

> What chipset and CPU are you using.

CPU is an AMD Turion-X2 64. Not sure what other chipset you want to know
about ?

Best,

dp

Dave Phillips 02-28-2009 08:05 AM

noise suppression ?

gustin@echostar.ca wrote:
> What is the mother board chipset? AMD and nVidia both make turion chipsets. It should be obvious if you run lspci with no flags.

The mobo chipset is by nVidia.

Best,

dp

Gustin Johnson 02-28-2009 12:27 PM

noise suppression ?

Gustin Johnson 02-28-2009 12:27 PM

noise suppression ?

Dave Phillips 02-28-2009 12:46 PM

noise suppression ?

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On my Laptop I noticed that the fan was running at top speed but this
> did match with the actual CPU freq. The CPU was properly scaling but
> this did not effect the fan speed. I wish I had documented what I did
> to solve this, I have a foggy recollection that it was related to the
> nvidia binary driver (oh the evil binary blob again). Probably googled
> for "Ubuntu 8.04 acpi fan speed". This was on two laptops, one Turion
> X2 and the other a Core2 Duo, both with an nVidia video adaptor, and the
> Turion with an nVIdia Chipset (on a barely related note, the Turion is
> the worst computer I have ever owned).

Hi Gustin,

I read a rumor (on LAU ?) to the effect that the Turion was a bad risk
for Linux, but I must say that the machine has been a champ here. 64
Studio 3.0 is the first full 64-bit system I've been able to install and
enjoy on this hardware, and almost everything is working beautifully
now. I've yet to test the wireless and webcam, I don't use those devices
very often.

Btw, I also googled for a solution last night, got no joy. Maybe because
I was in a considerably altered state... Anyway, I'll search with your
suggested terms, hopefully will come up with a fix.

Best,

dp

Gustin Johnson 03-01-2009 01:04 AM

noise suppression ?

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>> On my Laptop I noticed that the fan was running at top speed but this
>> did match with the actual CPU freq. The CPU was properly scaling but
>> this did not effect the fan speed. I wish I had documented what I did
>> to solve this, I have a foggy recollection that it was related to the
>> nvidia binary driver (oh the evil binary blob again). Probably googled
>> for "Ubuntu 8.04 acpi fan speed". This was on two laptops, one Turion
>> X2 and the other a Core2 Duo, both with an nVidia video adaptor, and the
>> Turion with an nVIdia Chipset (on a barely related note, the Turion is
>> the worst computer I have ever owned).
>>

> Hi Gustin,
>
> I read a rumor (on LAU ?) to the effect that the Turion was a bad risk

I have had problems with the AM2 and derivative platforms. Right now I
only buy Intel based computers. ATI is back on the radar as a result of
the radeonhd driver for their latest devices, but for chipsets I am an
Intel only guy right now.

> for Linux, but I must say that the machine has been a champ here. 64
> Studio 3.0 is the first full 64-bit system I've been able to install and
> enjoy on this hardware, and almost everything is working beautifully
> now. I've yet to test the wireless and webcam, I don't use those devices
> very often.

Wireless was a nightmare (thank you broadcomm and HP, you could not have
done worse if you tried). The USB bus was never stable. If I pushed
enough data through it would reset and then be unusable until a reboot.
Wireless USB (like an rt2500usb I have kicking around) would not work
for more than a minute or so. The two USB wifi adaptors I have work
with the Intel based netbooks and laptop that I have. In short USB was
barely functional up to an including the day I got rid of the thing.

Mine did not have a webcam, but there were numerous bugs over the two
years that I had this pile-o-crap. It was more than a year and several
BIOS updates before it was even useable on a day to day basis.

> Btw, I also googled for a solution last night, got no joy. Maybe because
> I was in a considerably altered state... Anyway, I'll search with your

Most of the solutions I found pointed to the nVidia drivers as the
problem. Personally I grab my nVidia driver directly from nVidia.com, I
don't bother with the ones provided by the distro.

> suggested terms, hopefully will come up with a fix.

I wish you luck. May your Turion experience be better than mine. The
laptop I just ordered has Intel through and through (CPU, Chipset, wifi,
ethernet, and GPU) as all the drivers are upstream. It only took me 10
years to realize that compromise with binary blobs merely wastes your
time and is not worth it in the long run. I guess I am not a fast learner.

Hth,

Gustin Johnson 03-01-2009 01:04 AM

noise suppression ?

Ralf Mardorf 03-01-2009 08:03 PM

noise suppression ?

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> I have had problems with the AM2

I'm too ;). A lot of people are fine with AM2 for Linux ;) but they have
troubles with Intel stuff.

I guess 64 Studio 2.1 comes with the IBM ACPI kernel module for AMD 64
bit hardware, the relevant informations for ACPI and fan speed control
might be this one:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed

Ralf Mardorf 03-01-2009 08:10 PM

noise suppression ?

PS:

> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>
>> I have had problems with the AM2
>>

> I'm too ;). A lot of people are fine with AM2 for Linux ;) but they have
> troubles with Intel stuff.
>
> I guess 64 Studio 2.1 comes with the IBM ACPI kernel module for AMD 64
> bit hardware, the relevant informations for ACPI and fan speed control
> might be this one:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed

Using a stock kernel

*NOTE!*
Fan control operations are disabled by default for safety reasons.

*Linux Kernel 2.6.22 and Above (ibm-acpi has been replaced by
thinkpad-acpi <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Thinkpad-acpi>)*

To enable fan control, the module parameter fan_control=1 must be
given to thinkpad-acpi.

For example, in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron), add the following to
/etc/modprobe.d/options: options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1

If I understand it correctly 64 Studio 3.0 beta2 is Hardy.

Hth,
Ralf