Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Gustin Johnson

Default noise suppression ?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> [snip]
> >> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed
> >>
> > Using a stock kernel
>
> > *NOTE!*
> > Fan control operations are disabled by default for safety reasons.
>
> > *Linux Kernel 2.6.22 and Above (ibm-acpi has been replaced by
> > thinkpad-acpi <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Thinkpad-acpi>)*
>
> > To enable fan control, the module parameter fan_control=1 must be
> > given to thinkpad-acpi.
>
> > For example, in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron), add the following to
> > /etc/modprobe.d/options: options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1
>
> > If I understand it correctly 64 Studio 3.0 beta2 is Hardy.
>
> Yes 64Studio 3 beta is based on Hardy, though Studio uses its own kernel.
>
> I came across this link when I was having fan issues. I am on a Dell
> Latitude and the thinkpad modules did nothing. For me the problem was
> with the nVidia driver. I upgraded to the latest one from the nvidia
> website and the fan behaved normally after that. Weird.

If a fan becomes a pain and no software can manage it, it's still
possible to do it by a circuit. In the web there are a lot of howtoes,
e.g. this German with pics how to solder it:
http://www.modding-faq.de/index.php?artid=507&page=2
This seems to be no good one, but there might be some in the web. Maybe
it's hard to iron SMD for a laptop, but I guess it's possible to get
such hardware for less money.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> <snip>
> > If a fan becomes a pain and no software can manage it, it's still
> > possible to do it by a circuit. In the web there are a lot of howtoes,
> > e.g. this German with pics how to solder it:
> > http://www.modding-faq.de/index.php?artid=507&page=2
> > This seems to be no good one, but there might be some in the web. Maybe
> > it's hard to iron SMD for a laptop, but I guess it's possible to get
> > such hardware for less money.
>
> Hardware surgery is a bad idea unless you really enjoy this sort of
> thing and can afford to void your warranty.

I guess if Dave or someone else isn't fine with soldering, he knows
someone who is fine with doing "hardware surgery". I guess most people
in the music-world know some engineers. I agree with your argument about
the warranty :S. I didn't think about this.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Dave Phillips

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Anyway, I just did a clean install of Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop and the
> fan was at full tilt after the install. I then installed the latest
> packaged nvidia driver 177 (even though I usually get the nvidia driver
> from nvidia.com and install manually) via the "Hardware Drivers"
> utility. After a reboot the fan behaves normally.

I don't think it's the driver. I'm using the same driver (nVidia 180.29)
on the same machine with Hardy (64 Studio) and Intrepid. The fan noise
is more persistent in 64 Studio than Intrepid. The fan does wind down,
but there's no doubt here that it idles louder than when in Intrepid.

I'm investigating some of the suggested solutions, but I admit that I'm
leery about mucking around with CPUs. I'll report back re: success/failure.

Best,

dp