Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Frank Smith

Default More progs for the wishlist / Digital Room Correction!

HI
I've seen this myself but never used it.
Would be really nice in 64studio

Cheers
Bob

2009/2/10 Michael Jarosch <riotsound@riotmusic.de>

Hi!

I'm a bit late for 3.0, I guess. But I found something quite interesting

especially for the homerecording people that can not pay high-end

monitors but also for every recording studio to get the best out of

their equipment. It's "digital room correction"!

All you need is a linux-PC, a soundcard, a measurement microphone and

two programs called drc (http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/) and brutefir

(http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html).

I haven't done anything with it, already, but I will as soon as I've got

the time. If someone wants to read something about it, I'll recomment

visiting http://www.duffroomcorrection.com/ to get an idea about what is

possible. The people there are mostly interested in a perfect home

cinema experience, but I guess, it's also a good basis for

mixing/mastering if you got a perfect speaker setup!

If I understand it right, DRC is something, what MacOS can't offer for

their professional users at all and MS Windows can only offer through

DirectX / Direct Show, which - I guess - is not a professional interface

(and therefore can't be used with their recording software). BruteFIR is

the only "software convolution engine" on the market using a

professional output plugin: jackd! And it's the fastest! It also can be

integrated in Ardour, see: http://ardour.org/node/2352 !

So, please consider to put drc in your 64Studio repository! (BruteFIR is

already there, you know... )

Mitsch

Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Daniel James

Hi Bob, hi Mitsch,

> I've seen this myself but never used it.
> Would be really nice in 64studio

> If I understand it right, DRC is something, what MacOS can't offer for
> their professional users at all and MS Windows can only offer through
> DirectX / Direct Show, which - I guess - is not a professional interface
> (and therefore can't be used with their recording software).

Hmmm, it would have to work with ASIO to be useful to Windows pro audio
users, but I think most DRC is aimed at home cinema.

There are some studio monitor speakers that have DRC built in, but they
are expensive. I have mixed in other people's control rooms where it
would have been very useful :-)

It's quite common in studio control rooms to have too much
high-frequency damping (e.g. acoustic foam tiles or carpet on the walls,
mineral tiles on the ceiling or walls) but not enough bass trapping,
which gives you a very un-natural mix environment.

I actually replaced one pair of monitors because I thought their cabinet
design was creating a resonant peak in the bass range (one double-bass
note was coming back much louder than the others). I bought new monitors
but the problem was still there, because it was actually the room
causing the resonance!

There is lots of good information on manual room correction in the
archives of http://www.soundonsound.com/ which I would strongly
recommend reading before spending time or money on DRC. Just the
position of the monitors in the room and where you put your mixing chair
can make a big difference.

Having said that, the DRC tools give you the opportunity to evaluate the
success of any changes to the physical layout and materials of your mix
room.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Quentin Harley

Hi All,

DRC is a nice idea, and could help hitting the sweet spot in a treated
room, but it is not a replacement for proper room treatment. DRC has
limited use in a studio /homestudio setup because:

1. The sweet spot is very small and focused. Ok if you do not move
your head much, and not good when doing a demo with a customer.
2. compensating for frequency response needs filtration, and any
filtration creates phase shifts. Add this to the phase shifts in
the nodes in the room and you have a lot of phasey stuff going on
in your music. It just does not sound the same as a well treated
room.

Personally I would recommend the inclusion of an application like Fons's
Aliki, which is a room analyser. It will show you your speaker and room
response, and guide you in its treatment to get a better response from
the room. If you ask any sound engineer that is worth his / her salt
they will tell you that room treatment is always the first thing you do
when setting up a studio / mixing room.

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Daniel James

Hi Quentin,

> It just does not sound the same as a well treated
> room.

For sure. I'm currently up to 8 bass traps from
http://www.readyacoustics.com/ - and one double duvet ;-)

> I would recommend the inclusion of an application like Fons's
> Aliki, which is a room analyser. It will show you your speaker and room
> response, and guide you in its treatment to get a better response from
> the room.

Thanks for the tip, I see there's a manual for it:

http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads/aliki-manual.pdf

Cheers!

Daniel