Old 08-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Default jkmeter

Hello,

I would like to suggest "jkmeter" for including in next release of 64studio.

copy/paste from REDME file:
"Jkmeter is a horizontal or vertical bargraph level meter based on the ideas of mastering guru Bob Katz.
A K-meter displays both the true RMS level and the digital peak level. In this implementation the RMS meter is about 15% faster than an VU, but without the overshoot. This provides a good indication of subjective loudness."

http://www.digido.com/bob-katz/level-practices-part-2-includes-the-k-system.html

http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html
[dependencies are available on the same page ... libclthreads (>= 2.4.0) and libclxclient (>= 3.6.1)]

I would like also suggest item "meterbridge jellyfish" in Sound & Video menu.
I think it is very important tool for mastering to check mono stereo compatibility and it would be nice to get it simply from menu.
Commands can looks like this:
meterbridge -t jf alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n PHASEmeter
meterbridge -t vu alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n VUmeter

All of them (Jkmeter, VUmeter and PHASEmeter) can be nested in some submenu e.g. "measurement tools" to avoid overblown Sound & Video menu.

Cheers

mira

Old 08-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Quentin Harley

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to suggest "jkmeter" for including in next release of 64studio.
>
> copy/paste from REDME file:
> "Jkmeter is a horizontal or vertical bargraph level meter based on the ideas of mastering guru Bob Katz.
> A K-meter displays both the true RMS level and the digital peak level. In this implementation the RMS meter is about 15% faster than an VU, but without the overshoot. This provides a good indication of subjective loudness."
>
> http://www.digido.com/bob-katz/level-practices-part-2-includes-the-k-system.html
>
> http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html
> [dependencies are available on the same page ... libclthreads (>= 2.4.0) and libclxclient (>= 3.6.1)]
>
> I would like also suggest item "meterbridge jellyfish" in Sound & Video menu.
> I think it is very important tool for mastering to check mono stereo compatibility and it would be nice to get it simply from menu.
> Commands can looks like this:
> meterbridge -t jf alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n PHASEmeter
> meterbridge -t vu alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n VUmeter
>
> All of them (Jkmeter, VUmeter and PHASEmeter) can be nested in some submenu e.g. "measurement tools" to avoid overblown Sound & Video menu.

Good idea - I like it. I used alacarte to create a jellyfish scope
entry for myself some time ago.
command: /usr/bin/meterbridge -t jf x x
This creates a jellyfish scope with 2 inputs, but not connected to
anything. You can then connect it to hardware or application of your
choosing using Jack Control (qjackctl)

I'll check out the jk meter...

Thanks,
Quentin

Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Daniel James

Hi Mira,

> I would like to suggest "jkmeter" for including in next release of 64studio.

Quentin has made a package, we'll get it into the testing branch.

> I would like also suggest item "meterbridge jellyfish" in Sound & Video menu.
> I think it is very important tool for mastering to check mono stereo compatibility and it would be nice to get it simply from menu.
> Commands can looks like this:
> meterbridge -t jf alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n PHASEmeter
> meterbridge -t vu alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n VUmeter
>
> All of them (Jkmeter, VUmeter and PHASEmeter) can be nested in some submenu e.g. "measurement tools" to avoid overblown Sound & Video menu.

The problem with the current menu structure is that Sound & Video is a
ridiculously broad category for what we do. Unfortunately, this
classification is built into many Debian packages, so it's not easy to
fix without breaking compatibility.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi,

Thanks Daniel .. thanks Quentin
-It will be nice to have this package in testing...
-Now I understand problems with menu ... but it is not so difficult to do it by myself .... :-)

Cheers Mira

< ------------ Původn* zpráva ------------
< > I would like to suggest "jkmeter" for including in next release of 64studio.
<
< Quentin has made a package, we'll get it into the testing branch.
<
< > I would like also suggest item "meterbridge jellyfish" in Sound & Video menu.
< > I think it is very important tool for mastering to check mono stereo
< compatibility and it would be nice to get it simply from menu.
< > Commands can looks like this:
< > meterbridge -t jf alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n PHASEmeter
< > meterbridge -t vu alsa_pcmlayback_1 alsa_pcmlayback_2 -n VUmeter
< >

Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

For them who are interested

Fons Adriaensen's Jkmeter-0.4.0 was released