Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 AM
"Mike Baas"

Default Contributing Packages?

Hello, I'm new to Debian and especially new to 64Studio.* It just dawned on me that its people that compile packages and test dependencies, not magic fairies!

Let's say I see that Amarok is not installed as a player in 64Studio.* Let's say that I download it from a Debian repository and find that it doesn't output to Jack by default.* So I struggle my way around various libraries and plugins and program compilations, until finally, I have Amarok streaming through JACK.* How can I package up my hard earned labor into a package for use with 64Studio?

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM

> How can I package up my hard earned labor into a package
> for
> use with 64Studio?

Hi Mike,

To build a deb file is not too difficult to do, but it is not arbitrary.
The easiest way I have found to do it, it to use a application called
Debcreator (Google it)

It assists you in building the debianization of the package needed to
build the deb successfully.

If you manage to build it, perhaps we can test it and stick it on the
apt.harleystudio.co.za repository for other 64 Studio users to share in
the spoils of your labour...

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Daniel James

Hi Quentin, hi Mike,

> If you manage to build it, perhaps we can test it and stick it on the
> apt.harleystudio.co.za repository for other 64 Studio users to share in
> the spoils of your labour...

That would be great! The pure:dyne distro has a packaging team that's
been working on a lot of new audio and multimedia packages, so perhaps
that's something we could emulate.

Ideally, people who are interested in packaging should work towards
being Debian Maintainers so that we can get as much stuff into official
Debian as possible. That way, the packages get the widest possible
testing and quality control, because of the size of the Debian and
derivative userbase.

ps. Deb Creator is at http://debcreator.cmsoft.net/

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
"Mike Baas"

Ideally, people who are interested in packaging should work towards being Debian Maintainers so that we can get as much stuff into official Debian as possible. That way, the packages get the widest possible testing and quality control, because of the size of the Debian and derivative userbase.

Right, I thought of that after I posted.* Then is there a "formal"
process for deciding what Debian packages get included in 64studio?*
For instance, 'aqualung' appears to me after going through numerous
exercises to be the most up-to-date JACK friendly, multiformat friendly
audio player for Linux.* How might it be considered for inclusion in
the next 64studio?

mb

Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Daniel James

Hi Mike,

> is there a "formal" process
> for deciding what Debian packages get included in 64studio?

Not really, the original concept came from Free and I, and then people
in the community suggest (or argue for inclusion of) their favourites.
We do have a few ground rules though:

1. No packages with active software patent enforcement (e.g. lame). It's
a major pain, but we can't risk a lawsuit.

2. If it's not Free Software, we'll only include the package if there's
no practical alternative. Examples: alsa-firmware, flashplugin-nonfree

3. We don't include Mono, or any packages that use it, because I'm not
personally convinced of the value of it, compared with the software
patent risk of using a Microsoft technology. We don't use Java either,
because of the licensing problems with Sun's runtime environment.

> For instance,
> 'aqualung' appears to me after going through numerous exercises to be the
> most up-to-date JACK friendly, multiformat friendly audio player for Linux.

I'd agree, we're following the development of Aqualung with interest.

> How might it be considered for inclusion in the next 64studio?

Go to http://trac.64studio.com/64studio/report/3 and login with your
email address and password from the 64studio-devel list. Then click New
Ticket on the top navigation bar.

Cheers!

Daniel