Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
"Frank Smith"

Default On the move and smaller

Hi All
Have you seen this?
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7620873212.html?kc=LXDEMNL073108

64studio is on the move!

Cheers
Bob

Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM
"R.Wolff"

Excuse me, as good 'n cool as it looks, at $US 1,200 this seems just a "tad"
exaggerated to me. For this kind of cash I'd certainly get a notebook with much
better CPU/RAM/HD, better display and the ability to load/run quite a bit more
stuff on it. On a notebook you could also run on the integrated audiochip, which
wouldn't be worse then the Samsung chip I guess. Plus you get the ability to
hook an external audiointerface (USB or Firewire) of your choice if/when needed.

I admit it has a certain "wow" factor going for it, looks cute and probably
functions OK for it's limited CPU power.

Just MHO of course.

Cheers
Raphael

Old 08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Daniel James

Hi Raphael,

> For this kind of cash I'd certainly get a notebook with much
> better CPU/RAM/HD, better display and the ability to load/run quite a bit more
> stuff on it.

You could do that, but the Samsung hardware is really small and very
light, and also has a touchscreen, which is a lot of fun. It's a
different kind of product.

> On a notebook you could also run on the integrated audiochip, which
> wouldn't be worse then the Samsung chip I guess.

The Q1 Ultra uses the Intel HDA chipset, which sounds much better than
the older AC97 onboard chips. I've had the analogue out plugged into
some pretty large club sound systems, and it sounds easily good enough
for that environment.

In theory, HDA supports up to 192KHz 32-bit S/PDIF, but I haven't seen
any suitable peripherals that go up to that bitrate (yet). 24-bit is
pretty good for a mobile device though.

> Plus you get the ability to
> hook an external audiointerface (USB or Firewire) of your choice if/when needed.

The Q1 has two USB sockets, one in the top, and one in the side. Some
24-bit A/D convertor USB condenser microphones are coming onto the
market now.

Cheers!

Daniel