Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Daniel James

Default a little more about my webcam experience

Hi Dave,

> My Logitech QuickCam is now working under both 64 Studio and JAD, but it
> was not an especially pleasant experience to get it going.

I've also found that webcams are not the easiest peripherals to make
work under GNU/Linux, and I'm not really sure why that should be.

> The first and biggest problem is that there's no /dev/video nodes and
> they were not automatically created by udev or anything else.

I'll open a ticket for that.

> I'm still trying to get Veejay, FreeJ, and Gephex to recognize the
> camera. FLxER knows it's there but I haven't figured out how to make it
> work in the program. I also want to see if I can send a live feed into
> Fluxus.

You might like to get in touch with Peter Geirnaert
<peter.geirnaert@gmail.com> who recently asked on the users list about
using a webcam as a MIDI controller, which sounds interesting...

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Daniel James

Hi Enrike,

> i have a logitech quickcam STX and it worked out of the box. i did not
> have to do anything at all to make it work.

That's one for the supported hardware list then :-)

Which applications do you use it with?

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
tim hall

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My Logitech QuickCam is now working under both 64 Studio and JAD, but it
> was not an especially pleasant experience to get it going. Since both
> distros had exactly the same issues I thought I'd ask what problems the
> maintainers face when considering support for these cameras.

Storming report Dave. I've got one of these beasties, but had failed to
get it working so far. I shall follow through your notes and see if I
can find any further answers. Thanks for this work!

cheers,

tim