Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 PM
"Gabriel M. Beddingfield"

Default Compiling kernel modules version mismatch - line6usb

Hi guys!

I compiled the line6usb kernel driver, but it wouldn't load unless I force it.
When I force it, it works fine, but complains about a module/kernel version
mismatch. However, I built it against the right headers.

Why does the module version not match? How should I go about compiling this
module? Is it possibly a GCC version mismatch?

More details....

The line6usb kernel driver project is hosted here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/line6linux

Every time I load the module, I get these messages:

# dmesg | tail
line6usb: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_disconnect
line6usb: Unknown symbol snd_card_disconnect
line6usb: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_register
line6usb: Unknown symbol snd_card_register
line6usb: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_free
line6usb: Unknown symbol snd_card_free
line6usb: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_new
line6usb: Unknown symbol snd_card_new
line6usb: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_disconnect
line6usb: Unknown symbol snd_card_disconnect

When I forced the module it, it worked fine... but added the following messages:

line6usb: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
line6usb: no version magic, tainting kernel

I'm using the stock linux-image-2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 kernel and
linux-headers-2.6.21-1-multimedia-486. This module builds and loads fine on
Debian Etch 4.0 with the 2.6.18 kernels.

I originally filed this as a bug for the line6usb driver here:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1937278&group_id=200399& atid=973346

Note: I also asked this on the forum (http://64studio.com/node/630) -- and they
directed me here.

Thanks in advance!
-Gabriel

Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Gabriel,

|--==> Gabriel M Beddingfield writes:

GMB> Hi Gustin,
GMB> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>>
>>This is only a guess, but there have been some significant changes to
>>the kernel since 2.6.18. Perhaps the line6 driver needs to reflect
>>these changes?

GMB> Thanks for the input. It compiled clean, though. If the API changed, I would
GMB> expect to see at least one compiler warning. Also, the maintainer has reported
GMB> tests and fixes for up to 2.6.23.

GMB> Searching the internet, this error either comes from compiling against the wrong
GMB> headers, or a compiler version mismatch. I searched the archives for this list,
GMB> and someone else seemed to run in to this with a compiler version issue
GMB> (gcc-4.0/gcc-4.1). gcc-4.0 is no longer in the apt repositories, though... and
GMB> I'm guessing 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 was compiled with gcc-4.0.

As far as I can tell, the 2.6.21 kernel from 64 Studio 2.0/2.1 was
compiled with gcc 4.1:

~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 (Debian 2.6.21-2) (waldi@debian.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Fri Jun 22 19:13:23 UTC 2007

It would be interesting to see if the problem occurs with other
modules as well.

Ciao!

Free

Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 AM
"Gabriel M. Beddingfield"

Thanks, Free....

> As far as I can tell, the 2.6.21 kernel from 64 Studio 2.0/2.1 was
> compiled with gcc 4.1:
[snip]
> It would be interesting to see if the problem occurs with other
> modules as well.

I was also sure to install the alsa-module header package... but... I wonder if
somehow this module was using the wrong headers. ...or maybe has a bad
Makefile... or... I dunno. I'm out of ideas.

Any ideas on where to look next? Maybe point me to another module to see if I
can reproduce it with a different module?

Thanks,
Gabriel